Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Propagate text across multiple layers

New Here ,
Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I create complex photoshop files with multiple artboards, and use images generated from layer names to drive a complex html/motion graphic pipeline. 💅 Many of my artboards are different versions of the same design, and share the same elements.

I am looking for a method to save text in one place, either within the document or as an external file, and then have multiple text layers reference it - and hopefully auto-update.

Whats poppin Seetharaman?! ðŸ¤˜

I currently make use of the place image feature to reference single images across multiple artboards. I can not see a way to 'place' text data however. I am exploring Photoshop's data-driven design feature, but exporting multiple files would break my pipeline. I'd just like to have some text layers auto-update.

Is this currently possible?

Thanks!

Kristian

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where's the edit button I used complex twice in the same paragraph..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kristian's work account wrote:

Where's the edit button I used complex twice in the same paragraph..

Moderators can remove the extra "complex" for you. Which one do you want removed?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking for a method to save text in one place, either within the document or as an external file, and then have multiple text layers reference it - and hopefully auto-update.

Please provide a better description. 

Which Type Layers – all of them, if not how can they be identified, …? 

I doubt auto-updating is feasible in a meaningful manner (but maybe @jazz-y , @r-bin or others might know better). 

A Script that one has to trigger manually or link to some Event like opening a file via Script Events Manager seems feasible, though. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good questions.

I can use image/variables/define to point text layers at a text source, but I can't see how to bring it into the file.

Equally, I already place the same linked image file in multiple places, and can even update modified content - everything I'd like to do with the copy. Could a script enable me to utilise a text file in the same manner?

Maybe libraries?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installs XD..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You seem to expect a page layout application’s capabilities from an image editor. 

But as indicated before some others may actually know better and be able to help you implement the desired workflow. 

Please provide a clear description of the intended process, ideally with meaningful screenshots. 

Should the text in the affected Type Layers be replaced completely or just some elements (find/replace essentially)? 

Do the Type Layers contain text with varying parameters (fonts, size, leading, …) or is the text in each Type Layer uniform? 

… 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop has been living up to my expectations for a long time now thanks. It has features which hold the potential to save me days of work and I'm here to see if they can be used in ways I'm not yet aware of. I'd like to know if anyone else is achieving this, or if there is another tool in the Photoshop arsenal that I should consider.

Depicting my desired workflow and leaving it here for others to implement does not sound like good problem solving. I do appreciate your input though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depicting my desired workflow and leaving it here for others to implement does not sound like good problem solving. I do appreciate your input though.

If one wants advice on automation of a specific task it should be obvious that one needs to provide meaningful information. 

But your choice whether you want to be serious about the issue … 

Edit: Though naturally you may be able to figure out a useful automation for the task yourself …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 23, 2022 Dec 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We can't help you if you won't tell us what you are doing. Nobody is going to steal your ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost - I could use them for preformatted text. Can't see how to make the text flow however.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you mean "make the text flow"? Is the text varying lengths therefore needs more space/lines? Would using the Text Tool to draw the area for the type to fill work and then use the Smart Object method? Then multiple lines might flow down as you want. Without seeing exactly what it is you need I have difficulty imagining what it is I'm trying to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines