• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS 2020: Saved file reverted to older version on its own. Lost a whole day's work.

New Here ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I lost all my work from yesterday.

I have a PSD file with multiple Artboards and Smart Objects. I was working on one of the Smart Object all day yesterday. When I closed the file at the end of the day I remembered to save the Smart Object and the parent PSD. I also saved regularly throughout the day, on both files.

Today I opened PS 2020 and the files have reverted to the previous version. All my work is gone. I've checked the temp folder where the Smart Object is saved, there are no other files. The AutoRecover folder is empty. 

I have autosave set for every 5 min.

I didn't save the file to cloud. It's not saved to external hard drive. It's just in a normal folder on my hard drive.

I don't have Time Machine active.

Has this happened to anyone else?

What happened to my saves throughout the entire day yesterday, and how can I get it back?

What was AutoSave for if it didn't save all the changes that I did yesterday?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just happened to me. In trying to search for an answer I found your post. Did you have to redo all your work or was there a way to recover it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are having exakt this issue from time to time, almost thought we had gone crazy over here. We have saved images to one location, then copied it to another location. Next day the work copy on the first location is reversed to it's original untouched state, but the copied version is still the latest. We can see that the work copy has been altered at an later time compared to the copy, meaning that photoshop does something to images hours after it has been saved and closed in Photoshop. We are using Photoshop 2022 when experiencing this.

It doesn't seem to be any difference working on a local volume or towards a NAS storage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe this has something to do with the autosave feature, we have three retouch operators and the one who has experienced this issue had the autosave enabled but the two others had not. I have disabled the autosave on that computer also and we will monitor this very close for the next couple of weeks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 2023 now. I had the exact same issue the other day. At first I feared I might have clicked No when the Save changes promt popped up, but that can't be the case because I saved both the smart object and the main file, and I remember it vividly since I had to update the main to send it for review and the next day both the main and the smart object were reverted to an older version. I usually work from the cloud and have backup enabled on cloud, but in this particular case the file was local. Also, neither the main .psd nor the .psb are anywhere to be found, not in the Temp folder, not in the AutoSave folder, I did a full index search on Windows and nothing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When this happens, it's because you have accidentally saved the file to an unintended location. It can happen to anyone. It just recently happened to me. Apparently the file, in the designated location for it, had reverted to an earlier version.

What really happened, was that at some point during the work, the save location had changed. This can happen for a number of reasons if you are not paying full attention with every save. Watch where it goes!

I found the full, updated file pretty quickly, by backtracking my movements and checking the other folders I had been in during that day. It was in one of those folders.

If you spot it quickly, the simple way to find it is to initiate a new save and just see where it wants to go.

Files do not "revert". There's no way that can happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2023 Nov 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid I have to disagree. I have not moved any files, even during saves. What I do notioce is that whenever there is an update, this causes many of my library to revert, even when viewed on the web rather than just locally. So whatever is happening, is happening from the Cloud-end, not the local end.

If this is happening from the local end, please explain where the libraries are stored via the finder - assuming one has not done anything to move the libraries since creation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2023 Nov 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Motive8 your issue is not related to this thread. I would suggest you post a new thread with your issue regarding library syncing for more assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines