• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS 22.1 Merging and Saving "Could not complete your request because of a program error."

Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot save and I cannot merge layers.

I did my work around of making all layers unseen and with BG selected I was able to SAVE AS. But that's it. I can't merge layers, merge down, merge visible or merge group. It all gives the exact same error message:  "Could not complete your request because of a program error."

This started happening after I updated, out of 3 photos the issue is only on 1. The 1 photo with the issue has 5 layers. 1 locked BG layer, 1 duplicate of BG, 3 imported layers with masks on each of them.

Is this what corruption looks like???

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exact same issue, I been in chat with ADOBE several times no fix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that's a bummer. What are they saying it is and when will it be fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed Big Sur and it started right after that. They have deleted my preferences, Disabled use graphics card under performance. Ask me a ton of questions but have not come up with an answer as of yet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came here in hopes that someone found a solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having same problem, few ways I have got around it is to open a blank new project the same size then drag everything from the currupt project to the blank one, another way is to merge the layers in the folder individually one by one by right hand clicking the layer then merge down.. sometimes both of these ways fail too ... Been having this issue for about a week now also with the scrubby zoom on the effected projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the EXACT same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATING:
On that same photo having the issues, I now can't use spot heal because it gives the same  "Could not complete your request because of a program error."message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know if this will help anyone else but I seem to be fixed.

Mac OS 11 

I was on 22.1 version and rolled back to 22.01 and everything seems to be working as expected. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rollback worked for me too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem with several actions. They get stuck on "Merge Layers". Will roll back now, but that cannot be the permanent solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do we roll back?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you subscribe to creative cloud you can find the older version in there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. I have lost a LOT of art. Ever since 22.1.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I roll back?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gitoa! I just had someone from Adobe help me with this. You need to open the Creative Cloud that is downloaded to your computer. You will click on the three dots in front of PS. Click "Other Versions" and it will give you older versions. He told me to download v21.2.4. It fixed my problem. Just make sure that's the version you open. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've started having the exact "program error" same issue with PS 22.1. Never had this issue in the past.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. I also can not save my files........ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured out why this seems to be happening and also for myself found a temporary solution that stops this happening everytime, the problem with the error seems to be anything from any layer thats outside of your project area, so example I have a 2000 x 2000 pixel canvas and layer 1 my image is actually sticking out the edges of it, say its 2000 by 4000.. the error is Photoshop seems to have a problem reading the information outside the project area, EVERYTIME I have cropped my project select the entire project area in my case 2000 x 2000 so im not losing information within the visible area.. I can save the project and I get no error messages, I have tested this about 10 times and it definately seems like the problem and temp solution. hope this helps 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting the same error. Unfortunately the fix mentioned of cropping to the isivle area only did not work 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, this worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to report back, my roll back to 22.01 still working perfectly. I'll just wait a while to update to the newest when they get his bug fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been tearing my hair out with this issues as I have done compicated layering and not been able to merge or even save the image I have been working on.  I figured out which layer was the issue, turned it off and saved the psd. then uninstalled 22.1 and opened the file switched on the layer and could now merge and save.  Halleluja!..didn't loose all that editing time, but wasted lots trying to figure out the solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2023 Mar 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

APPLY A CROP TO YOUR IMAGE.....

Same issue, unable to merge a group. Using Macbook Pro, OSX 11.5.2, and PS 24.3. 

I rolled back to PS 24.2, had no luck. 

Someone below mentioned problems if any layers are outside of canvas size/boundary. A quick application of crop tool at canvas size fixed my issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines