• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS 23.3.1 hardly releases RAM?

Advocate ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to Win 10 and looked in its Task Manager to check how much RAM PS was using.

When I had it around 9 GB, I closed my three opened documents and it only went down to ±8.5 GB.

Does it only start releasing when it runs out of assigned RAM (I have that around 12 GB), or is that some kind of bug in PS or Win 10? (I also noticed PS sometimes disappears from the list in Task Manager)

AFAIK, this behavior also happens for the scratch disk file, but is considered "normal" — it only grows.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

This is by design, and it has always been like that throughout PS history.

RAM is not released while Photoshop is running, it is reused. This is much faster and more efficient than requesting it from the OS all over again.

This is why you have that slider in Preferences. Set it so that you leave something for other applications and processes. 70-80% should normally be optimal (depending on how much you have installed).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

The RAM behaviour is normal and has worked that way for years.  One of Adobe's staff once explained that it was for speed and was to prevent Photoshop going back and forth requesting RAM and giving it back then requesting......... etc.

Scratch disk does rise and fall but I would normally recommend having at least 100 GB free space available on the scratch disk. I do occassionaly see it rise higher.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You really need at least 16GB of RAM and plenty of spare hard disk capacity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 32 GB, but I assigned 12 GB to PS.

The second sentence relates to the first 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is by design, and it has always been like that throughout PS history.

RAM is not released while Photoshop is running, it is reused. This is much faster and more efficient than requesting it from the OS all over again.

This is why you have that slider in Preferences. Set it so that you leave something for other applications and processes. 70-80% should normally be optimal (depending on how much you have installed).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The RAM behaviour is normal and has worked that way for years.  One of Adobe's staff once explained that it was for speed and was to prevent Photoshop going back and forth requesting RAM and giving it back then requesting......... etc.

Scratch disk does rise and fall but I would normally recommend having at least 100 GB free space available on the scratch disk. I do occassionaly see it rise higher.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, I was open to it being a clever system. Thanks for reassuring me 🙂

I haven't used PS since Adobe locked me out in Win 7 around June last year. I seemed to remember it behaved differently there in the Task Manager re. RAM, but I could be wrong...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines