Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS crashes on save after a linked file on a NAS has been placed

Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2021 Sep 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

VERSION:
Adobe Photoshop Version: 22.5.0 20210809.r.384 ce617de x64 Anzahl der Starts: 157

SYSTEM: Mac OS 10.15.7

Intel CPU-Familie:6, Modell:12, Stepping:3 mit MMX, SSE (ganze Zahl), SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AVX, AVX2, Hyper-Threading Physischer Prozessor: 4 Logischer Prozessor: 8

Steps to reproduce:
1. Create a new Document (any, I tried RGB)
2. Place a linked file from a NAS (place linked)
3. Save document (local or on NAS)

Expected result: Photoshop should save the document
Actual result: Photoshop crashes

It only happens when the linked file is on an attached NAS (Synology DS).
It also happens, when I try to save a Smart Object which has a linked file on a NAS.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 17, 2021 Sep 17, 2021

Hi Ged_Traynor,

thanks fror your reply. After noticing that you have used an updated version of PS, I also updated – and the issue seems to be gone.

So I will close this thread, calm down and thank you for the hint. This has kept ruining my days for the past 2 weeks.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Statement from Adobe

Adobe Technical Support only supports using Photoshop and Adobe Bridge on a local hard disk. It's difficult to re-create or accurately identify network- and peripheral-configuration problems.

https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/photoshop/kb/networks-removable-media-photoshop.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that Adobe supports usage only on local hard drives. But:

- Can you reproduce it?

- It worked until the last update.

- I work locally! I only try to embed remote files in order avoiding too many local duplicates. This is crucial to my workflow.

- Is this answer all I will get?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I don't have a NAS but I did test it on my external dual hard drive RAID enclosure and Photoshop version 22.5.1 saved without issue. I'm on Windows though so it might be a MAC related issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ged_Traynor,

thanks fror your reply. After noticing that you have used an updated version of PS, I also updated – and the issue seems to be gone.

So I will close this thread, calm down and thank you for the hint. This has kept ruining my days for the past 2 weeks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad I found this!

It isn't just you and it has been slowing me down and causing major issues for me! It's 2023, a brand spanking new Mac Mini, newly updated OS and all applications are up to date!

Photoshop doesn't crash on me but it does freeze and disconnects, or so it says, from my NAS.

ONLY when using smart objects!! My NAS doesn't really disconnect though as I am still able to scroll and open images that are in the same folder!

Definitely a MAC issue as I do not have this on mhy Windows!!

Anyways, I just wanted to share... No smart objects!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @SSabatine there have been a lot of updated information since this 2021 post.

Specifically with newer MacOS - Big Sur, Catalina, Monterey, Ventura you need to make sure your NAS drives are formatted AFPS Journaled (Mac compatible) and not ExFat (Windows).

The MacOS has gotten more "aggressive" with compatibilty and the Finder allowing direct read/writes back to external sources.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what does that mean for drives that have all my images on them that were created and formatted on Windows?

Sorry, I know this post is old but there were no newer ones I could find with this issue.

If I have to reformat those drives, I will lose over 50,000 images... gulp and copying them to a temp storage and back seems incredibly time consuming as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Reformatting is one main consideration.

If you decide to go this route, I would format new drives and transfer.

The others are turning off Quicklook, preview column view, etc.

Honestly if you have that many images to manage, I would consider using a DAM system like MediaBank. It allows you to checkout assets locally and check them back in to the system when complete. You could still use your NAS as storage, but this front end solves the external read/write issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines