• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS Crashing but works using a psp file as an 'open with' - I kid you not.

Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this is a really crazy one.  I am a Windows insider and have been running the latest W11 Beta for a while.  I suspec there is a graphics driver issue but I cannot be certain.  I have tried all sorts of ways to open PS (latest version and previous) in the usual manner but I get crashes.  Only gets as far as the logo and that's it.  I have tried Shift+Ctrl+Alt prefs over ride, removed the folder and so on.  It has loaded on the odd occasion using this method but it always eventually crashes.  I have rolled back the drivers but that is hit and miss as well.  

While I was in the prefs folder I noticed the various *.psp files and just for fun I double clicked Default Type Styles.psp.  More for a laugh than anything else....why would that work after all?  Guess what?  PS loaded and runs without a hitch.  I closed and tried PS in the regular way - no chance.  Try DTS.psp again - hey presto PS loads.

So what on earth is going on here??

TIA

Alan

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@alanc94157700 Sounds as if this is unique to Windows 11 which I'm not ready to try just yet but maybe some other users will show up with guidance. Since psp files are stored in Photoshop's installation directory, I assume that's why clicking on it works for launching the program but that's just a WAG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, the .psp files are in the user account, not in the program files directory. But yes, Default Type Styles does indeed launch Photoshop - and opens a 1 x 1 pixel "image". I suppose that's just because .psp is set in Windows file associations to open in Photoshop:

psp1.png

But why it crashes vs. doesn't crash I have no idea. It does sound very strange.

Generally, of course, this is the kind of thing you can expect in a beta OS and an application that wasn't written for it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JainLemos_0-1631553596961.png

Yes, thanks for the correction. In Windows the Default Type Styles file is in the AppData directory which is for user-specific data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is why I double clicked the psp file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding to what Dag said: If you're using an NVIDIA driver, I'm assuming you're using the Studio driver, released back in August; they recommend it for Windows 11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MX250 NVIDIA - not sure if it's August but I keep my laptop up to date in an OCD fashion 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it crashes over a permissions issue? It's trying to access some preference but can't - but launching it from "something" in the user account bypasses that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not a bad idea - going to look into that - thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 20, 2021 Sep 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The saga continues, in spite of PS updates I still cannot open PS directly.  It's all rather hit and miss.  If I delete the entire prefs folder PS sometimes loads sometimes not but the prefs folder is rewritten.  Other times I simply try each psp file in turn and one of them will 'take' and PS loads. At the moment 'Swatches.psp' works.  As  write this I tried Swatches.psp - nope did not load.  The splash screen gets to 'reading preferences' and that's it.
Success - opened on MRUBrushes.psp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is bizarre. (But then again, remember you're running Windows 11. Photoshop just may be exploiting a bug in the OS.)

Just for kicks, have you thought about going "scorched earth" and format the system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's definitely what I'd do in a situation like that. But then I would never run a beta OS, so that's moot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines