• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS crashing

Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2022 Jul 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS never crashed, 2 weeks ago it started crashing, first is freezes, then shuts down my macbook pro and then the file is lost. first, any idea why this is happening? secondly does PS save a recovery file?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 17, 2022 Jul 17, 2022

Well … if your Mac crashes then the problem is not truly Photoshop, no matter what it may look like to you. 

Does turning off »Use Graphics Processor« in the Performance Preferences (Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > Graphic Processor Settings) and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue? 

Please read this (in particular the section titled "Supply pertinent information for more timely and effective answers”):

https://community.adobe.com/t5/using-the-community/community-how-to-guide-tips-amp-best-practices/td-p/11601738?page=1

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well … if your Mac crashes then the problem is not truly Photoshop, no matter what it may look like to you. 

Does turning off »Use Graphics Processor« in the Performance Preferences (Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > Graphic Processor Settings) and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue? 

Please read this (in particular the section titled "Supply pertinent information for more timely and effective answers”):

https://community.adobe.com/t5/using-the-community/community-how-to-guide-tips-amp-best-practices/td...

What have you done for all-purpose trouble-shooting so far? 

Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

As for recovery files:

What did you set under Photoshop > Preferences > File Handling > Automatically Save Recovery …? 

Screenshot 2022-07-17 at 14.10.04.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the prompt reply, the thing it happens while using photoshop only, that's why I thought it has to do with it.

I fixed the autosave, it was on the cloud. I also turned grahic processor off, will be able to tell later if crashes stop.

finally I always wonder why computers can't solve their own problems 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you also trash the preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the prompt reply, the thing it happens while using photoshop only, that's why I thought it has to do with it.

That conclusion is not unreasonable, but a modern OS cannot be »brought to its knees« by a plain application. 

Photoshop may just be the only application you use that makes the demands that reveal a flaw in a driver (like the GPU-driver) or some hardware component. 

I don’t claim I would be able to find out which component exactly, but if working without GPU-support alleviates the issue I would suspect the GPU-driver. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to what's been stated, ensure you have plenty of RAM and spare hard disk capacity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

will do, thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines