• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS CS4 (and CS2) "SAVE" comes up as "SAVE AS" (and still won't save)

New Here ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy, all

Running Photoshop CS4 (I know, I know, but I'm used to it). Been using it for ages now, and up 'til today, been working like a champ. Now when I go to SAVE, the SAVE AS dialogue box comes up instead (and using the shortcut keys doesn't work either), and (indignity of indignities) tells me that it can't save as the file because the file can't be found. (???) Tried SAVE AS directly, and get the same result. This also happens now in PS CS2 (Adobe's free copy, needed to use my scanner's TWAIN driver). Didn't make any changes to either program, so don't know why this is happening.

Went into Word; I can save a document to any location where I save my graphics, so it doesn't seem to be the location. Renamed a document to TEST FOR SAVING.TIF to click on (for maybe a REPLACE dialogue). SAVE (AS) gets me the file format parameter box, but then the error about "file not found"comes right up again.

Searched through the forum's archives of messages, and didn't find anything. The only google results bore on the more recent versions of Photoshop, which doesn't help me.

Anyone ever seen this (or anything like it)? Maybe got suggestions (other than upgrade, which isn't even a guarantee of a fix if this is suddenly happening to TWO versions of Photoshop at the same time)?

Many thanks!

Davey

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

What version of windows are you using?

If your using windows 10 this could be the solution:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/photoshop-cc-won-t-save-file-error-file-can-not-be-found/td-p/10440499

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of windows are you using?

If your using windows 10 this could be the solution:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/photoshop-cc-won-t-save-file-error-fi...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I apologize; I should've remembered that datum. Yes, Windows 10 (and every day that passes brings me closer to upgrading from Win10 to Windows 7 *grrr*. Or linux; CS2 works fine under WINE).

I performed the trick with controlled app access and all, and lo! and behold, things work again. Someone's a genius, just not at microsoft. Why would my photoshop.exes suddenly go bad? Best of my knowledge (borne out by Windows Defender's report page) I'm not infected or anything. (Performed the same trick on my scanner's standalone program and even on Corel Photopaint [on the system, never use it 'cause it's stupid] and those that had had the same problem it fixed. Weird.)

In any case, many thanks!

Davey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines