Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS opens images in window way too large

Participant ,
Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

I'm experiencing this for the last litle while.

I open images from Bridge in PS ... the first two open as normal "Normal View" (with frame/window) ... the third one opens with a window much too large.

Zooming will only resize the image - not the frame. I can only reduce the window frame to the appropriate size of the image by going through the three view options and is then normal. (hitting F 3x)

Preferences are set to UI 100% ... I tried Auto and other things ... to no avail.

Strangely it only happens by app. the third image I open, while other images are already open.

(in the screen shot they are hidden behing the huge window)

I have the latest updates of PS and Windows

The images I experience this with are about 100 -200 MB, PSD, 16 bit

System: Windows 10 PRO, 64 bit, 32 GB RAM, Nvidia 2060, Intel i9 

Thanks

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the preferences for Photoshop UI scaling.

Also see: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-set-custom-display-scaling-setting-windows-10

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 08, 2022 Oct 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

thanks for your reply, but it does not happen in Windows - only in PS ... and not with all images.

UI preferences are set to 100% - again the first two images open fine - only the third one is screwed up.

Please read the original post

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 08, 2022 Oct 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any difference between opening from Bridge vs. opening directly from PS? 

In Preferences>General, do you have them set for Auto show the Home Screen on or off? 

As for Zoom, check the preferences for Zoom Resizes Windows which as the name implies, will affect that window size. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 09, 2022 Oct 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, thanks for your reply.
I'm currently at home and can't check on opening from Bridge or directly from PS
since this is about my work machine/set-up.

* Zoom resizes window is checked - always was
* Show home screen is always off

I have the same settings here at home but the issue does not exist.

Also - please don't forget that this only happens with every other image
being opened - NOT each one.
I tried many times - same size images, from the same shoot / batch.
Only every third or so.

The only difference I noticed from home machine opposed to work is that
in Preferences UI is set to 100% - at home to Auto ...
but ... I tried both settings and see no difference ... on both machines.

Looking at the screen shot again ... All images at home and MOST at work open with the frame tightly around the image / image size as shown with the huge frame.
To get out of this I have to close and open again or go through the View cycle (press F, 3x)

Thanks for now

Klaus Rossler
Graphic Designer

Personal information removed by Moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 09, 2022 Oct 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this point, maybe the best thing to try is resetting your Photoshop preferences. 

Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) immediately after launching Photoshop. You will be prompted to delete the current settings. You can also reset preferences upon a quit if Photoshop is running by going into General Preferences>General>Reset on Quit.

Any difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 11, 2022 Oct 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

* I opened directly from PS without Bridge ... same issue
* I reset PS preferences ... no change
* I tried more images ... always the third one does it, then continues with the same problem after that.

UI is set to Auto ... by reset preferences

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Klaus Rossler
Graphic Designer
Personal information removed by Moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm curious. Can you duplicate the same raw three times (unique names) and open each? Third opens different size?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again,

* I don’t have the dng file here at this location. Only the edited PSDs, which I was using for testing.
* I checked again some other images (JPGs) – no problems
* I also picked another folder with DNGs, opened them in PS ... same problem ... third one...

So, It seams to be NOT related to a specific file or its name, but maybe file type or size, since the JPGs
I tried are always much smaller file size.

Klaus Rossler
Graphic Designer
807-738-5186
klausr@shib.ca
[cid:image001.png@01D8C8DE.1B681310]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 12, 2022 Oct 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there again,
Here are the latest results:

* I took the original DNG files and opened / saved them again in PS.

They do have a slightly different file name though since I renamed the others / previous PSD files of those images.

* Those newly converted from DNG tp PSD opened just fine / normal ... issue gone!!!
* I transferred the problem images (the same ones) to the same location where the newly converted (the ones that work fine)

Are and they have the same problem.

So – to clarify – the identical images, newly converted from the original DNGs don’t have the problem ... new old ones still do.

I don’t know what to make of it ... can a file name create a problem?
e.g. original DNG, re-saved as PSD: TeresaBowyer-Aug26-2021_0036.psd ... no problems
the problem image: TeresaBowyer-ClayCloud_0036.psd ... still problem ... always the third image
the problem images have been edited further in PS ... the newly converted ones not – just opened/saved in PS

also: not to forget - the entire problem does NOT exist at my home machine ... same files ...??

anyways, if you have any explanation, it is highly appreciated ... just out of curiosity

otherwise – I’ll ignore the problem since it does not occur with other images

Thanks for now

Klaus Rossler
Graphic Designer
807-738-5186
klausr@shib.ca

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm at a loss, and no, I can't see how a file name would affect this issue. 

Yes, it appears to be a machine-specific issue as you report. 

Did you try resetting ACR preferences? I know you did for Photoshop but ACR has preferences as well, can't recall if you tried:
Try resetting the Camera Raw preferences:
Hold down the Command key and select Photoshop > Preferences > Camera Raw (macOS) or hold down the Ctrl key and select Edit > Preferences > Camera Raw (Windows).
Click Yes in the dialog that asks "Delete the Camera Raw Preferences?"
See also:
https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/using/camera-raw-settings.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I re-set ACR ... no difference
I cropped, edited in various ways the new DNG > PSD files ... no problems
I changed the file names of the old / faulty ones ... same problem
I converted the old / faulty ones to TIFF ... same problem
Opened them in different order ... always the third one and then all from then on
Haven’t found another folder / images that show the same behaviour ...

It is not that of a big deal and so far not re-occurring ... so I let it be ...
Just bugs me not knowing ... ☹

Thanks for your time

Klaus Rossler
Graphic Designer
807-738-5186
klausr@shib.ca

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is only one more action I can see to take if you want to go there, which is a full and clean install of the various Adobe products. If that doesn't fix the issue, I suspect there is some unique setting or software conflict on this one machine since it doesn't happen with your other. 

See: https://helpx.adobe.com/nz/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

You could try running the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to remove all traces of the Adobe software before reinstalling it them again using Adobe Creative Cloud. 

It might not be worth the hassle, but if this doesn't fix the issue, I'd look outside the Adobe ecosystem to see if something might be affecting this display issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 13, 2022 Oct 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks … don’t want to go there … for now

Klaus - klausr@shib.ca

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amendment to earlier email:

* I opened same images (same folder) in a different order ... always the third and after
* I chose different images in same folder ... same issue
* I copied the images to a different location and opened from there ... same issue
* I picked different images from a different folder (smaller/jpgs) ... no problem
* I tried different images from a different folder again (PSDs) ... third image does it
* Converted same / initial images to TIFF and different location ... same problem ... third image
So it can’t be the folder (flash drive) ... can the images be corrupted – but then ... why always the third and after?
Makes no sense also because different images from different locations do it ... except small jpgs

Thanks

Klaus Rossler
Graphic Designer
807-738-5186
klausr@shib.ca

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines