Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS pdf export: size differs on varius printers

Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2022 Aug 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo.

When I pdf export a DVD Cover from PS (safe as --> photoshop pdf) and I print it on my printer in "original size" (out of Acrobat Reader) the dimensions are as supposed to. If I print it on a copy machine or another printer in school (pdf is opened in a Edge oder Firefox) the dimensions are much bigger.

Do you have a idea why? Thank you.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pdf is opened in a Edge oder Firefox

By @Kay83

Don't do that. Use Adobe Reader, it's free.

A web browser will have no concept of ppi (pixels per inch) and just ignore it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I see. Is there a general "calculation" how copy machines (big Kyoceras e.g.) interpret the ppi? Because I print many covers it's much cheaper to use these instead of inkjet printer 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with @D Fosse. In addition, your subject says "size differs on varius printers", but you are also using various software which adds another variable. To test if the issue is with the printer or the software, can you try printing the same file to your inkjet with each of these:

• Acrobat Reader
  • Edge
  • Firefox

and let us know the results?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PPI/ DPI is metadata and professional printers usually honor it when converting the data in their drivers or sending PDF or EPS files directly to the printer's raster interpreter. Of course between the Bermuda triangle of the file's PPI, the app sending the print job, the print driver and other factors like resolution overrides hard-set on the printer's menu anything can happen, so it's still critical to double-check. The workflow suggested by the others, meaning PDF --> Acrobat/ Reader --> printer is considered safe, though. The others also aren't quite right about browsers just ditching that info. E.g. in Chrome and Firefox you can invoke your system's printer dialog from the PDF applet's generic simplified dialog by using the "Show more" options and picking the "Use system print dialog" option. That way the files will be sent as a file directly to the driver and it will handle things, assuming it has the necessary features. Either way, the above rule of meticulously checking settings still applies even then.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Download adobe Acrobat reader from the link below 

https://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kay83 wrote:

HIf I print it on a copy machine or another printer in school (pdf is opened in a Edge oder Firefox) the dimensions are much bigger.

That means it’s being printed from a web browser, so the problem is in how a web browser is interpreting actual size, and that could be very different than how a print-oriented application like Photoshop or Adobe Reader will calculate actual size.

With any printer and software combination, you have to watch out for things like automatic fitting to page size, how actual size is calculated, and so on. For example, if either the web browser or the copy machine/printer driver software is set to automatically scale to the page size, then if you print a DVD cover on US Letter or A4, of course it’s going to print bigger because it scaled up the DVD size to fit the entire sheet. If that’s the problem, the answer would be to turn off automatic scaling.

If you print from Edge or Firefox, it may be scaling based on them being screen-oriented web browsers, where actual size may be calculated differently than in a print-oriented program. For best results, download the PDF out of the web browser to the desktop, and open it in something like Adobe Reader where you can verify the print scaling without the web browser in the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2022 Aug 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok thank you all for you comments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines