Ps Printing - massive loss of GAMUT

Explorer ,
Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I print in a fully, end-to-end color managed environment printing on Epson SC800 printer.

Updated to latest Ps version. I am finding massive loss of color gamut when soft proffing and actual printing. Print made beautifully 10 years ago and 2 month ago now are coming out MUD. I can see the massive loss of gamut in the Print dialogue.

Latest > Windows 11, 64 bit, Ps-23.5, EPSON SC800 dirver, NVIDIA driver

I've attached the Ps SysInfo

Thanks

Vartkes

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Print made beautifully 10 years ago and 2 month ago now are coming out MUD. I can see the massive loss of gamut in the Print dialogue.

By @The Armenian

You should always test output using good color reference images designed for that task. The color reference images RGB values are such that they are set for output and are editing and display agnostic. Test the output this way and examine for the same color issues so we know it's not your image-specific issues causing the problems:
http://www.digitaldog.net/files/2014PrinterTestFileFlat.tif.zip

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further to the Massive GAMUT loss post, I attached a document that demonstrates what I am getting with two examples. Each pair of images in soft-proffing process shows first ICC-profile applied then the second where Gamut Warning is enabled (Cntl+Alt+Y). Both these images were printed perfectly, recently and ten years ago respectively.

Thanks for any ideas what's going on!

Vartkes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The gamut overlay isn't useful and sometimes buggy; forget about it. 

More to why here:

The Out Of Gamut Overlay in Photoshop and Lightroom

In this 25 minute video, I'll cover everything you need to know about the Out Of Gamut (OOG) overlay in Photoshop and Lightroom. You'll see why, with a rare exception, you can ignore this very old feature and still deal with out of gamut colors using modern color management tools.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00O-GTDyL0w
High resolution: http://digitaldog.net/files/OOG_Video.mp4

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Print made beautifully 10 years ago and 2 month ago now are coming out MUD. I can see the massive loss of gamut in the Print dialogue.

By @The Armenian

You should always test output using good color reference images designed for that task. The color reference images RGB values are such that they are set for output and are editing and display agnostic. Test the output this way and examine for the same color issues so we know it's not your image-specific issues causing the problems:
http://www.digitaldog.net/files/2014PrinterTestFileFlat.tif.zip

The Print dialog is a mess, don't even think of viewing anything there. How does the color reference image print; forget about soft proofing/gamut overlay. What's the actual output look like with the proper ICC output profile and driver settings???

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you TheDigitalDog. The color reference image printed nicely. For the record, the reference image displayed the same Gamut loss in the Gamut Warning view.

So I am still left with what to do with these two images which printed fine recently and long time ago respectively and now they look like 'hell'. I used the same paper and ICC profile for all including the reference image. Any suggestion is appreciated.

thank you,

Vartkes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines