• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS Variables errors on empty cells

New Here ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a data sheet design where we will be outputting 700 or so sheets. After much trouble shooting and reading online I have solved all but one of my problems when importing data from a CSV file. Hopefully one of you can help me out.

I have a section where I am listing application properties, the excel data has a variation of 1 to 5 applications per data sheet, so in my excel sheet it looks like this:

Applications_01
Applications_02Applications_03
Applications_04Applications_05
abcdefxyz123
abcdef
abcdefxyz123456
abcdefxyz

The problem I am having is the empty cells cause an error "Data set 1 was Incomplete" because when opening up the CSV it looks like the line ends with a comma. A few things I have tried are putting a couple of spaces in each empty cell ( gives me a "program error") and using the bullet special character (outputs as • instead of ).

Any help on this would be great.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Hi

Since typing my last answer I found a better way

Type "       that is " followed by a single space into Excel.  That will parse OK and be treated just as a space when replacing text in the variable

Makes:

or

or

Hope that helps

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

If a character instead of an empty data field is acceptable you could use '-  or '_  or '.  in Excel which outputs as - or _ or . respectively.

These work without any errors

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Since typing my last answer I found a better way

Type "       that is " followed by a single space into Excel.  That will parse OK and be treated just as a space when replacing text in the variable

Makes:

or

or

Hope that helps

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect! That is exactly what I needed. Thank you much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,Dave! Please explain which character I need to write to get an empty field, I tried it with and without quotes, and nothing comes out with the words "that is"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you want words that is to appear? It is not clear to me what is your end goal, please explain further.

@davescm is explaining how to get empty space in Photoshop Type layer, I believe, not how to get words that is. If you want words that is then simply type "that is" in cell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't type that is. That was just part of my explanation.

Simply type a quote followed by a single space.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you are brilliant , fantastic .....i dont know what to say thank you ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried adding a space in these cells? or would it work to add a zero?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2022 Apr 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The quote + space method did not work for me with Photoshop 2020 win. However, after a little trial and error, a quote + space + quote in the empty cell/csv location translated to an empty space to replace the string variable in Photoshop. Praise the gods, I was at wits end!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for posting this!

And for anyone else in a bind, I've also learned that Photoshop won't accept em dashes! I also wrapped all my cells in double quotation marks in case they had commas I missed.

Try this formula in sheets to do this automatically (if you want to change cell A2, put it in B2)"

=CONCATENATE(CHAR(34), A2, CHAR(34))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines