• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS video bugs on mac

Enthusiast ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this bug on several Mac Pro machines now for well over a year. I can't even remember now. I keep two versions of PS, Ver 21 and Ver 22 (32.4.2 actually) because sometimes it drives me crazy and I use the older version. 

Files open and display an incorrect image, or a repeated image. Also the healing brush tool will continue to display the greyed out area that was selected for healing until you move the image using spacebar + mouse to jiggle the image around. 

Sometimes files open and display white, or black. Resizing the image preview window seems to fix it, but when you're working in PS all day it's too much. 

Are others aware of this? I have it on several Macs, so it can't just be me. I'm currently on Monterey, but it was happening before that was well. 

Attached is a video showing the issue. 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those are all signs of a graphics card failure/issue on your Mac.

Can you go to Photoshop Help Menu/System Info then copy the details and paste into a reply.

That will help pinpoint issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Kevin. 

First, I did put the computer info panel screen shot and the adobe PS version screen shot in the video itself, so all that info is in the video, at least for one of my machines. 

As for it being a graphics card issue, I have these issues on three Mac Pros, so I'm going to rule out the idea that it's a graphics card issue or a single computer issue. I have these issues on three machines. All late model 2013 Mac Pros, and all purchased within the last three years. I don't see these issues on my new M1 Macbook pro, or in a custom built Windows 11 editing machine I built, but again, three computers, same issues.... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a graphics card issue based on your specs.

You have a 2013 Mac Pro, with a FirePro D500 graphics card.

That does not meet the minimum recommendation for current Photoshop -
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html

Specifically the average Ops/Sec recommendation of 2,000. Your card clocks in under 1,200 ops/sec.

You are running the oldest allowable Mac on Monterey with Metal compatibility. There comes a point where you need to decide to stop updating your OS and Software to remain on these machines, or upgrade your hardware to support new software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin. That was very helpful. However, I did run the GPU check, and it does say that my machines are compatible with PS 24.3.2. None the less, This looks like it might be the issue. 

Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 11.19.35 AM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it does meet the minimum requirements but is considerably slower, which can lead to lags in screen redraw and other rendering issues. Unfortunately because I love my Mac trashcan! I've kept mine on Catalina and PS 2020 and consider it "time locked".

The fact that Monterey forces updates within a 90-day grace period meant that if I had upgraded my OS, Apple can basically force end-of-life with my Mac Pro eventually. 

Fortunately, I also have an M1 which runs the latest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again. I have editing macs in my office, 3 trash can macs, a new M1
macbook pro and a new custom built pc that’s a monster. I’ll replace the
three trashcans over the next two years, but I’m out of budget for upgrades
this year, and honestly I’m holding out on those trashcans for a M2 mac
pro. The new mac pro is still Intel, so I’m just gonna have to live with it.

At least now I have the answer. This problem has been kind of annoying me,
although it’s not a show stopper.

--
Sent from my iThingy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd take a good look at the Mac Studio. Good speed for the price compared to an M2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 02, 2022 Sep 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what you mean by "forces updates within a 90-day grace period" but Apple still have older installers online and you can always reformat and go back to whatever supported OS you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apples new policy with Monterey is you can delay OS updates for up to 90 days, then it will auto update. You don't control the updates anymore.

Migrating back to Big Sur or older OSes is messy at best and a huge undertaking. Apple purposesly doesnt make it easy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not true, Apple doesn't force updates. Who told you that?

And migrating isn't that difficult, Apple has tools to make it easier and my advice would be install on a separate drive if you just want to test. (Former Mac Genius here so I may be a bit biased on ease of setup.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work in IT. This is from Apple regarding Monterey deployments. Maybe it's different from individual users.

You can prevent devices from offering over-the-air software updates until a specified period of time has expired since those updates were published by Apple.

When you implement this restriction, the default delay is 30 days since update publication before the update is visible to managed supervised devices. However, you can specify a custom value, anywhere from 1 to 90 days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The biggest problem with deferred updates is that they expire, but Apple still makes combo updaters (not OTA) available later. This is way off topic though 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>I don't see these issues on my new M1 Macbook pro, or in a custom built Windows 11 editing machine I built, but again, three computers, same issues.... 

Wouldn't that then indicate a compatibility issue with those 10 year old machines?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple of things you can try.

(only one at a time)

1. Go to Photoshop>Preferences>Technology Previews, check Deactivate Native Canvas and restart photoshop

2. Photoshop>Preferences>Performance and uncheck Multithreaded Compositing and restart photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff. This doesn't seem to help, but much appreciated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines