Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Psb and Psd files open too slow in 16 Macbook Pro M1 Max Photoshop

Engaged ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Recenttly I purchased 16' Macbook Pro M1 Max. 64gb Ram and 1tb ssd. Latest version MacOs and Photoshop/Bridge on the laptop.

Now im noticing that when I double tap to open a Psb and Psd files from Bridge it takes a very long time for them to open in Photoshop. So I was timimg it. On average a Psb file takes about 2 minutes to open, Psd files between 30 and 40 seconds. However, if I close these same files down and directly open them again they almost open instantly in Photoshop.

So the 1st time takes for the files a very long time to open, 2nd time shortly after same files open almost instantly.

Does somone knows what is going on here and how to fix this problem?

Thnaks

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out.

How long does it take to open a jpeg from Bridge? Did this start after any update?

Have you tried re-installing Bridge? Where are the files located?

We're here to help, just need some info.

Regards,

Ranjisha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ranjisha,

Jpegs open nearly instantly. Tiff files are very fast as well. I havent tried reinstalling Bridge yet. But if I open the same Psb/Psd file from a finder it takes as long as when I open it with Bridge.

I bought this laptop only 10 days ago. I only started noticing this few days ago, because most of the time I work on Raw files in Acr.

Files are based on 4tb external hard drives. Drives are spinning so they are not waking up when I open these files.

Also, I have late 2013 Macbook pro, 16gb ram 1tb ssd, latest versions of photoshop and Bridge on it. When I open the same files, Psb file opens in 55 sec compared to 2 minutes and 10 sec on M1 Max. Psd files are also opening faster on 2013 MBP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do they open slowly from Photoshop directly (instead of Bridge)?

If you save one or more as a TIFF (which supports everything a PSD does), is it any faster? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Opening the files thru photoshop is as slow as thru Bridge and Finder. 

Process of saving Psb file as a TIFF (with layers and no compression) takes awful long time, in the end it doesnt save it, I get pop up dialog that says this:

Could not save this document because the document exceeds the 4GB limit for file data in this format.

Would you like to save it in Large File Format (.psb)?

Alos, opening of Tiff files which are saved with compression and no layers is fast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Opening the files thru photoshop is as slow as thru Bridge and Finder. 

Process of saving Psb file as a TIFF (with layers and no compression) takes awful long time, in the end it doesnt save it, I get pop up dialog that says this:

Could not save this document because the document exceeds the 4.00G limit for file data in this format.

Would you like to save it in Large File Format (.psb)?

By @dragantomas

Then these documents are *PSB's (not PSDs) meaning massively big images over 4GB. I'd expect them to open slowly but that depends on factors such as drive speed etc. You have no options other than saving them as PSBs. 

http://digitaldog.net/files/TIFFvsPSD.pdf

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was and am talking about PSB files of about 1.5gb in size which are very slow to open in Ps (about 2 minutes). Only when on your suggestion, I was saving these files as uncompressed TIFF's, files exceded 4gb size, so I was unable to save them as TIFF's.

I also mentioned in previous posts that opening of Psd files is also very slow. I also mentioned that opening of these Psb and Psd files in a 10 years older Macbook Pro is much quicker than on my current M1 Max.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understood. The question becomes, does TIFF open faster than an equivalent-sized PSD? 

You can try Disk First Aid on your M1 Max to check the drive (Disk Utility). 

Also, show us the File Handling part of the PS preferences. Do you have Compression of PSD/PSB files check or not, does that make a significant difference in speed? What's set for Maximize PSD compatibility? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disable Compression of PSB and Psd files is unchecked in Ps Preferencess. I had it before (few days ago) on checked, which made saving files last way too long, so I unchecked it again. 

Maximize PSD compatibility is set on 'Always'

I have also done Disk First Aid as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, does a TIFF open faster than an equivalent-sized PSD? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TIFF opens about 8 seconds faster that equivalent sized Psd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TIFF opens about 8 seconds faster that equivalent sized Psd.

By @dragantomas

How big were they? 

It's difficult to know if this is an issue or not. You could try resetting preferences and testing again. 

To be honest, I never save as PSD, only TIFF. PSB if the doc is huge (over 4gig), there's no choice there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TIFF 370mgb, Psd thereabouts. Both take about 15 sec to open.

What preferences do you mean to reset?

I will start saving files as TIFF from now on and see what happens. I will also reinstall MacOs and creative Suite eventualy to see if that may help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

TIFF 370mgb, Psd thereabouts. Both take about 15 sec to open.

What preferences do you mean to reset?

By @dragantomas

Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (macOS) immediately after launching Photoshop. You will be prompted to delete the current settings. You can also reset preferences upon a quit if Photoshop is running by going into General Preferences>General>Reset on Quit.

You may wish to make a screen capture of the settings in the Preferences dialog to reset them prior to deleting of this file.

Also: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines