• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

psbs and thumbnails

Advocate ,
Feb 07, 2019 Feb 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone aware of a feature request for more usable psbs? They slow bridge to a crawl, you cant see what they are.  more and more of my files have to be psbs as pixel dimensions and bit depth rises.  Surely it would be reasonably trivial to embed a jpeg at the start of a psb, for bridge to read?  (in fact why this isn't so in all phtooshop files is a mystery).  Its not like bridge is made by a different company. you control the file format and the reader. 

Also it's been like this for ever.  Really i need adobe to start thinking about some of these usability issues that we've been putting up with literally for decades. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

For feature request and bug reports this is the place to go

Photoshop | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your question that you don't get PSB thumbnails, or that Bridge is generally slow?

If the former, you set this in Bridge Preferences:Brprefs1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can see psb thumbnails and have bridge slow to a crawl, or you can elect to not create thumbnails for 8gb files, and then not see what the file is. 

It is, as renton might say, a shite state of affairs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, Trainspotting, great film. Never read the book

I can't say I've experienced any problems with Bridge and big PSB's, thumbnails or not. I have a number of files in the 3-8 GB range, which is why I (arbitrarily) set 8 in Bridge. Everything seems snappy, fine and dandy here.

Have you tried purging the cache? You can even go into your user account and delete the entire folder to be sure. It'll rebuild.

Or Prefs > Advanced > Use Software Rendering, just in case it's a video driver thing -

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 19, 2019 Feb 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you go to a folder with huge psbs for the first time, how long does it take for them to appear?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2019 Feb 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know what to say - the folder opens instantly. Regenerating the thumbnails (after purge) is about 3-6 seconds apiece. That doesn't strike me as anything unusual.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 21, 2019 Feb 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I just tried it. A 3GB PSD took 50 seconds to generate a thumbnail and no preview.

Do you get previews with your PSBs?

But look if PSBs had no processing overhead why would there be an option to ignore files above a certain size?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 24, 2019 Feb 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So to summarise, can anyone in adobe state categorically that bridge does *NOT* currently read an entire PSB in order to generate the thumbnail - because that's what t his issue boils down to.

If it does, can anyone state categorically that there is not a better way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use John Ellis PSB Quick Look Plugin which provides PSB thumbnails and quick look previews at the Finder level.

You can trial it before you lay down your $9.99

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on windows. But thank you it lead me to his feature request

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ardfry Codec can do this at the Windows Explorer / Deskop /Dialog level. You can trial it. Don't expect Adobe/Microsoft support anytime soon.

View Photoshop PSD PSB PDD PDF AI EPS INDD files in Windows - x64 PSD CODEC for Windows 10, Windows ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 25, 2019 Feb 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand correctly this is extracting the tiny preview that is built into psbs, what I'm advocating is a full size jpeg preview to be built in so that that can be extracted by bridge in a fraction of a second. So you can see thumbnail and preview instantly rather than having to wait for bridge to read the entire file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I had thought a Explorer solution would work. You can also ask iin the Bridge Forum about this.

Bridge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

getho, you keep insisting that this is an endemic problem that requires an architectural solution. It isn't and it doesn't. I don't know why this is happening to you, but it doesn't happen to me. A 5BG PSB behaves just as I expect it to.

The Bridge preview cache is under your user account. First of all go in and delete the entire folder. Let it rebuild. Or you could try exported cache to folder vs. central database cache and see if it makes a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well then, answer some of the questions I've posed in this thread, and help me figure that out.

Psbs have always and forever behaved in this way, through several systems from as far back as I can remember (about '96 ish?)

1 Are you on mac or PC?

2 Do you get previews as well as thumbnails?

3 why is there a setting in bridge to not process over a certain size, if there is no processing overhead to large files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 pro 1809.

Yes, thumbnails and full previews. I have a custom Bridge workspace where the Preview pane fills the central square of my 2560 x 1440 monitor.

I don't know why. Of course it takes a little longer than usual to generate for the first time a full preview from a 15000 x 25000 pixel file, but no more than I would expect given the size. Typically 4-10 seconds. Once the preview is generated, everything is snappy and instant thereafter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 26, 2019 Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you honestly look at the current system and see no room for improvement? 

When you have a folder that has 20 psbs, that all take 10 seconds to create thumbnails; is that OK?

If instead of 3 minutes to generate those thumbnails they appeared instantly. 

Question: Which is better? Waiting 3 minutes for a house keeping operation, or not waiting at all?

I have a couple of 40gb psbs in my system.  Plenty of 10-20gb psbs. They will keep getting bigger. There will be more of them.  It is utterly ridiculous that I can generate thumbnails for my video files quicker than I can my psbs. *That* is architectural, and that is what should be addressed. .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure you understand what you're asking. You say you want an embedded jpeg "at the start of the file" - but where would that come from - Photoshop? And what about updating this embedded jpeg? Is it any better that Photoshop does this, for every adjustment - adding seconds to each adjustment? Don't you think that would cause a riot out there?

Making a preview from a video file is no big deal. That's just a single frame, 1920 x 1080 pixels.

Whichever way you look at it, something has to build this preview. And it's not just a single preview, it's a pyramid of several. Saving out a series of jpegs takes a few seconds, no matter what software does it. Even Photoshop would need that.

Take one of your big PSBs, flatten, resize, convert to sRGB and save it out to a screen-sized jpeg. How much time? Do it four times. How much time? Would you like that time added to every adjustment you make?

Once your work is done, preview generated, that's it. If something is slowing Bridge down at this point, something's very wrong because that doesn't happen here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a software engineer, but generating a flattened version of the current image that is open and embedding that in the document takes as long as it does to to go ctrl-a, copy merged, paste.

Maybe someone who is a software engineer could join in this conversation, because it is going nowhere: you say that your images take 5-10 seconds to generate a thumbnail and preview and that's not a problem, I say it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All right, initial preview generation of big PSBs takes a couple of seconds. That doesn't surprise me at all, but it seems to surprise you.

Let's just leave that for now, and try to get on the same page here. Once the preview is generated, then it's done. After that, what exactly is slowing you down? Is anything else than initial preview generation a problem for you?

Maybe it's the PSB compression bothering you. Yes, that does take a lot of time. Have you tried turning that off?

What about moving the Bridge cache to a fast SSD somewhere? What about exporting cache to folder? Have you tried those?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines