Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.PSD Files Icons Not Showing — Windows 10

Participant ,
Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a problem: Windows 10 (pro 64bits) have asked me with which program we open a psd files and after I answered (with photoshop cc 2018) he has changed my icons by the photoshop cc2018 icon (not the Ps files icon but the app icon (exe)).

How can I fix that?

Thanx

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

It has bebcome worse since the reinstallation:faultyicon.jpg

I have this Oo

EDIT:
STOP,  Windows asked me with what i want to open psd files...
I answered photoshop... and now the icon are fine (phewwwww)

Thank a lot for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right click the desktop icon, and choose Properties.

I am sure you'll work it out from there.

[EDIT] If you don't have a desktop icon, go to

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2018

And right click Photoshop.exe

You might need to set File Extensions to be viewable, but I don't think you'd have a problem finding the file either way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope it's not what i meant:

It's not the icon of the program or its link but it's the icon of the photoshop files (a .psd) that i have a problem with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. Do they still open with Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.
Now on the psd files i have the app icon apparence.
Just a mistake of icon so

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be easier (and safer) to reinstall Photoshop.  I'm _assuming_ that will do the trick.

Note: Try restarting the computer after reinstalling Photoshop, so Windows can fix its file associations etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just reinstall?
No desintal reinstall?

Just to nknow the icons for the other adobe files are fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you can reinstall right over the top in this case, or it might even say Repair.  You'd need to do this from Control Panel > Programs & Features.  To use the Application Manager you'd need to uninstall first.  Do you have a good connection?

I am not convinced this will work though.  I have been hitting Google in between posts.  Unfortunately most of the hits think I am asking about thumbnail previews, and not the file icons though.   If it will take you a long time to reinstall, hold off for a while.  I have changed your subject line to try and attract other people with relevant experience, and I'll keep looking.

Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thak you for your help.
So I used the Adobe creative cloud manager and desinstalled Photoshop.
I have reinstalled but no change

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kinsi  wrote

Thak you for your help.
So I used the Adobe creative cloud manager and desinstalled Photoshop.
I have reinstalled but no change

Bugger.  I thought that might be the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has bebcome worse since the reinstallation:faultyicon.jpg

I have this Oo

EDIT:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kinsi  wrote

EDIT:

All OK then?  Thank goodness for that.  I was about to email our Noel, but no need now.

[EDIT]  I was a bit concerned that the answer you marked as correct was ambiguous, so I have changed it to your last post.  I think I'll remove that reference to the Registry as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found two references to deleting:

C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Local\IconCache.db

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2422299/icons-are-not-displayed-for-certain-files-in-window...

I have that file on my Windows 10 system, but rather than delete, add a .BAK to the end of the file name. You MUST have file extension viewable for this as in my first reply.  You could safely try this and restart your computer, and keep fingers crossed that Windows will rebuild the cache.  My gut tells me that it would not just be .psd file icons that were missing if this was the problem, but we are down to clutching at straws seeing as no one else has stepped in.

If all else fails, I'll email an ex forum regular Noel Carboni who is a total expert with Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to be clear, you are talking about the file icon, and not the Preciew?

This, for instance

I'd say check Bridge > Preferences > File Associations, but it is unlikely to be a problem as the files are opening in Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, I had the same problem and it was truly relentless.  I tried all the file associations, registry, etc.  For me the problem only began after the Photoshop 2019 installation, and only resolved after reinstalling photoshop (with creative cloud) and then choosing "Open with" and checking the box "always open with this app" and then choosing photoshop.  Go get 'em.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys, what fixed the problem for me was that I right-clicked on the .psd file, clicked properties, then I chose photoshop on the 'opens with' option. That automatically fixed all the .psd file's icons. Hope it worked for you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked for me! Thank you! I easily resolved the problem with my psd files not showing the icon. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well.. mine is set to open with photoshop but still has the same problem..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 02, 2021 Oct 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Meddy Bates wrote:

Well.. mine is set to open with photoshop but still has the same problem..

Hi

Try this answer that you gave in the Acrobat Reader forum:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-reader-discussions/adobe-reader-icon-not-showing-on-windows-1...

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2022 Jun 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! This worked for me. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fixed this problem on my PC using information I found here: https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/change-default-icon-file-type-windows/

I added a DefaultIcon key to Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Photoshop.exe through the Registry Editor. I set the (Default) (type REG_SZ) to "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2021\Photoshop.exe,1".

After logging off and back on, my .psd file icons returned to the default Photoshop file icon (rather than the Photoshop application icon).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2023 Sep 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I bought photoshop for monthly and Adobe Illustrator I restarted my computer and it's gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines