• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSD files no longer associated

New Here ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Overnight, my PSD file icons have become blank white rectangles.  Also, if I click on a PSD file to open it, I get a message asking what program to use, and photoshop is not listed.  It seems my PSD files are no longer associated with the 2022 release.  Can someone please advise how to fix this?  Thank you.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That probably happened because your earlier versions were uninstalled as you installed 2022. There's a checkbox to not do that and leave them installed (just for future reference).

The outgoing version can sometimes take associations with it and leave them orphaned.

First try to uninstall and reinstall Photoshop. If that doesn't work, go into Windows Settings and set associations manually. It's under Apps > Default Apps > Choose default applications by filetype:

associations.png

In the future, always install in strict version order, and uninstall in reverse version order. Last in, first out. That's always safe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem but it's not related to uninstalling the previous version, as I kept both.  Windows file association by file type will not let me choose Photoshop 2022.  I can associate files in Bridge but Windows won't associate any files with Photoshop 2022.  This problem only began quite awhile after I installed the updated version.

This is not the first time this has happened. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2021 Nov 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. But I can't choose Photoshop to link with the .psd
It is the only extension that is corrupt.

psd.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2021 Nov 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See If you can set the Association from Windows File explorer. Right click on a PSD file. Click Open With the choose an other program. Scroll to the bottom check Always use the app and click on more Apps then scroll to the bottom and click Look for another app on this PC.  Navigate on the c drive toeProgram files  Adobe  Adobe  Photoshop 2022  Photoshop.exe click  Open.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm having the same issue with PremierePro (and possibly Photoshop). When I try any of the normal ways to relink a file association with PremierePro 2022, such as JJMack's instructions above, when I click Open at the end, it opens 2021 instead and tells me that this is too old to open my file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines