• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSD saving massive JPG and erasing metadata

New Here ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've recently had this problem with my photoshop where my PSD files are a smaller size like 16in by 9in at 300dpi but when I save to a JPEG it saves as 64 in by 32in at 72dpi and erases all of my metadata. I have done some research but havent come up with any solution that works.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

@Christina242841160t2v wrote:

I use the Copyright and Contact Info as the metadata setting and when exporting it only saves what I included below when document title, author, and descirption are filled out in the psd.

Which of the settings sounds like it would maintain all metadata? 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you save the jpg? 

Actually SAVE (a Copy) or EXPORT? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exporting, export as and save for web mainly. I have tried multiple ways of saving and it does it every time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You seem to use »export« and »save« as if they meant the same. 

Under which exact conditions did saving a jpg change the image’s resolution? 

As for Save for Web: Resolution is essentially meaningless, and 72ppi just is traditional. 

If you don’t want to export the jpgs accordingly then save a copy instead. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used the export as and export>save for web and both have the issue of the increased document size and erasing metadata. Both of these means of exporting are giving me issues. Saving as a copy is the only way to get a jpg of the psd in the correct size and metadata included.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saving as a copy is the only way to get a jpg of the psd in the correct size and metadata included.

So the obvious approach would seem be to do that if you believe that the resolution is essential. 

As for the metadata under Save for Web: 

What Metadata settings did you choose? 

Screenshot 2022-05-02 at 17.55.06.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the Copyright and Contact Info as the metadata setting and when exporting it only saves what I included below when document title, author, and descirption are filled out in the psd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Christina242841160t2v wrote:

Which of the settings sounds like it would maintain all metadata? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exporting will strip out all metadata, but you can choose to keep Copyright and Contact info.

In Save for web, there's and option to keep all metadata.

Save As / Save a copy will also keep all metadata, including the ppi value.

Export and Save for web will strip out the ppi, because it's not required for screen viewing.

When you open the exported file in Photoshop, it gets assigned a ppi value of 72. Photoshop has to assign a value to be able to display rulers with physical dimensions, and to display type the correct size.

If you want to keep the ppi value, use Save As / Save a copy, which should also save much faster with a file that size.

Note that digital images don't have physical dimensions, they only have pixel dimensions.

PPI (Pixels Per Inch) is optional metadata that is used to calculate printed dimensions.

Your 16 x 9 image is 4800 x 2700 pixels.

4800/300 = 16 (inches), 2700/300 = 9 (inches)

PS-SFW-metadata.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is normal and expected behavior.

Export / Save For Web both strip the ppi metadata from the file. An Exported file has no ppi whatsoever, not 72, not 300, not anything.

Export/SFW are intended for web/screen/mobile devices, where ppi is meaningless and irrelevant. So it's stripped.

The 72 figure appears as default number when you reopen the file in Photoshop, because it needs some ppi number for other reasons. Any number will do.

Ppi = pixels per inch. It's a measure of pixel density on paper. As size goes up, density goes down. It's the same file, the same number of pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines