• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Puppet Warp for connected Type (gaps between letters)

Aug 19, 2017 Aug 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey this also applies for layers with several shapes and transparent gaps between them. is there a way or setting to make Puppet Warp work with the connected compound (letters etc) and not just move the letters if in default resolution?

Thanks, there is nothing on the web concerning this.
Otherwise have to merge everything on another layer which has a considerable transparency (1% won't work) or using alpha channels to delete the (white) colour which filled the gaps when merging 2 layers and executing Puppet Warp as a compound. Maybe the developers could implement this feature.

Many thanks!

Hannes

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 19, 2017 Aug 19, 2017

Hi

You could do this as a workaround:

1. Add a temporary layer below the text

2. Select and fill the area on that temporary layer encompassing the text with a solid colour - I used 50% grey and turn opacity down to 40% so you can still see through it

3. Convert the text layer and temp layer to a single smart object

4. Apply your puppet warp to the smart object

5. Open the smart object and switch off visibility of the temp layer.

6. Close and save the smart object

I hope that helps.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you want to do with the type? Can you illustrate? (You obviously want to use Puppet Warp on the type but whenever I think of manipulating type, I immediately think of Illustrator.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not understand what you are tying to do. Puppet warp works on raster layers including smart object layers. So Puppet Warp can be a smart filter.  Puppet Warp does not work on vector layers like text and shape layers.  Text and shapes layers can be converted to smart object layers and puppet warp can be used on these smart object layers and be a smart filter.  Text letters can be on separate layers. Therefore puppet warp can be used on a single letter and not effect other letters they may overlap.or connect to.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You could do this as a workaround:

1. Add a temporary layer below the text

2. Select and fill the area on that temporary layer encompassing the text with a solid colour - I used 50% grey and turn opacity down to 40% so you can still see through it

3. Convert the text layer and temp layer to a single smart object

4. Apply your puppet warp to the smart object

5. Open the smart object and switch off visibility of the temp layer.

6. Close and save the smart object

I hope that helps.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much davescm!
I did it as mentioned with my type merged on a White Layer and then used duplicating channels and alpha masking to delete the white portion again. Your approach is way shaper and 100% precise.

So I assume there is no option to switch on this feature in the Puppet Warp tool for now, right?

Thanks again Dave! Made my day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the moment - puppet warp only gives a mesh where there are pixels, so you have to give some pixels to work with.

However , once you have used the method above, if you need to re-edit the mesh you don't need to turn back on the temp layer. Just double-click on puppet warp under the smart object in the layers panel and the entire mesh re-appears.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds Perfect! Thanks a lot for your time and solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works like a charm!!! Dave, my hero!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I tried this method in Photoshop 2022 and I get this error when I add the points. I also tried rasterizing the layers in the smart object and rasterizing the smart object and still get the same error. Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines