• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Q. about setting the gray point

Explorer ,
May 09, 2019 May 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been asked to process of batch of scans. One of the things on the checklist is to "set the gray point". I'm wondering if I'm doing it correctly. What I do is open the Info panel, call up the "Curves" panel, select the middle eyedropper, then check the control strip in the image to find a middle-value gray that is exactly balanced, i.e. the R, G & B numbers are identical. Then I click that spot. (FYI, my eyedropper is set to a 5x5 sample). Is this the correct technique? What do I do with the images where I can't find a spot that is exactly balanced? This screen shot shows an example: there is no spot on the control strip that shows up as perfectly balanced in the Info panel.

Curves.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read this:

FAQ: How do I capture and post a screen shot or video?

call up the "Curves" panel

What is that supposed to mean?

Are you using a Curves Adjustment Layer or are you trying to work destructively?

Anyway, it sounds to me like you might have it backwards – you don’t need to find an actually neutral area but an area that should be neutral.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there something wrong with the picture I posted? Yes, I used my phone instead of a screen shot; I did that so that I could preserve the numbers, which otherwise would disappear.

By "call up the "Curves" panel, I mean keyboard shortcut command+m.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did that so that I could preserve the numbers, which otherwise would disappear.

Say what?

By "call up the "Curves" panel, I mean keyboard shortcut command+m.

I strongly discourage doing that on a full color image because it’s needlessly destructive, instead try using a Curves Layer (Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Curves).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2021 Jul 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did what you suggested and then when I go to curves to make an adjustment the dialog box is blank, I have to click on the image layer to make any adjustments, what am I missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2021 Jul 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Properties, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines