• English
      • Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Question: Im confused in regards to the color wheel in photoshop.

New Here ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I increase the saturation in the color wheel either by using the saturation slider or by moving the color horizontally it should be keeping the brightness/value of the color the same right? But when viewing the colors in black and white I see that the value of the color has changed even if i haven't moved the color up or down/increased the brightness.

Is this how it's always been? I've just recently started using control y to view my paintings in black and white in photoshop. (The value also changes when changing the hue).

I always thought that saturation didn't affect the value of a color.

Is this how the color wheel has always worked? Or did I accidentally change a setting or something? 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you'd like to change how your paintings look in black and white, then try using a Black & White adjustment layer (click on the middle icon at the bottom of the Layers panel and select Black & White). Then you can use the sliders to adjust the brightness of a color.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Myra Ferguson wrote:

If you'd like to change how your paintings look in black and white, then try using a Black & White adjustment layer (click on the middle icon at the bottom of the Layers panel and select Black & White). Then you can use the sliders to adjust the brightness of a color.

im 

@Myra Ferguson wrote:

Ok thanks, I'll try this

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do as Myra suggests. If you want the explanation, this is it:

It's normal, although a bit counter-intuitive. It has to do with how RGB data are desaturated - it simply averages the numbers in the three color channels.

The fact that yellow is inherently bright and purple inherently dark is not part of the equation.

If you want to avoid this, you can also convert to Lab, desaturate, and convert back to RGB. Lab works in a different way that takes inherent color brightness into consideration:

desaturation_2.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines