• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Could not Initialize Photoshop due to disk error" When trying to open Photoshop

New Here ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday I reset my PC (kept my personal files, but removed all programs). When the reset was over, I went ahead and reinstalled all my Adobe apps using the Creative Cloud. 

However, when trying to run Photoshop today, I get this "Could not Initialize Photoshop due to disk error" error message right after the launch window shows up. (Photoshop never actually opens).
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but still not working. Never had this issue before. Any ideas?
I'm running Windows 10 Home 64-bit. I have two drives and none of them are close to being full.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry that you're getting an error "could not initialize Photoshop because of a disc error" when you start Photoshop. 

Which version of Photoshop are you using and how much free disk space do you have available on your computer?

Would you mind checking the troubleshooting steps mentioned in this article https://helpx.adobe.com/in/photoshop/using/scratch-disks-preferences.html#Troubleshootscratchdiskful... and let us know if that helps?

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I initially tried with the latest version. Then I tried with the version right before the latest version. And then I tried a few more versions before the latest version. They all gave the same message.

Photoshop is installed on my secondary D: drive which has 334GB of free space. While my C: drive (SSD drive for Windows and all that) has 43.5GB of free space. (before I reset my computer, it was installed on my D: drive as well)
I read the troubleshooting steps and when I hold down CTRL+ALT during launch, it gives me the same error message so I am unable to change scratch disk preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the heads up and sorry that the isuse still persists.

Would you mind restoring the preferences for Photoshop & see if it helps? See this article for reference: https://t.co/ulJI7cGn1G You may want to backup your settings beforehand: https://t.co/4dX7gkr36D

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines