Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Could not save (xyz_filename) because write access was not granted."

New Here ,
Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey y'all,

I'm running Photoshop CC 20.0.1 on macOS Mojave 10.14.1, and keep getting the error "Could not save (xyz_filename) because write access was not granted."

Three variables not yet addressed in any previous discussion here:

(1) I verified with my IT people that I have full write permissions on that folder.

(2) I can Save As/Export/Save A Copy without any problem, as well as saving to the folders from Illustrator, InDesign, etc.

(3) It doesn't always give me the error (sometimes I can save with no problem).

I've exhausted my resources in solving this on my own, and looking forward to any insight from the community here.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2019 Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My company has the same problem. Using macOS Mojave and the lastest version of Photoshop.

Upgrading to macOS Catalina to see if the problem resolves itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2019 Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I would try to search and report the problem on https://feedback.photoshop.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2019 Oct 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Company are having the same issue.  We are running windows 10 and windows 7.  None of the suggested fixes have worked.  I have tried all kinds of fixes from various forums but nothing seems to work.  Anybody got any further with this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2023 Feb 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had to leave behind a solution for those writing Photoshop Scripts (ExtendedScript), like me!

This StackOverflow post was the clue:

When you get the error General Photoshop error while saving it usually means a problem with the save path. Photoshop is trying to save to a location that doesn't exist.

When I took a look at my code, I was using forward-slash as a relative file path assuming Photoshop would just write to the folder my PSD was in. This turned out to be the problem.

var myActiveDoc = app.activeDocument;
var myFilePath = '/';
var myFileExt = '.jpg';
var jpegSettings = new JPEGSaveOptions();
jpegSettings.quality = 12;

// Pay attention to this line below...
myActiveDoc.saveAs(new File(myFilePath + myActiveDoc.name + myFileExt), jpegConfig);

I instead pulled the path from the activeDocument and then modified it from there.

var myActiveDoc = app.activeDocument;
var myFilePath = myActiveDoc.path; // <--- only this changed
var myFileExt = '.jpg';
var jpegSettings = new JPEGSaveOptions();
jpegSettings.quality = 12;

myActiveDoc.saveAs(new File(myFilePath + myActiveDoc.name + myFileExt), jpegConfig);

I hope this saves some developer out there the three days it took me to figure this out!

PS - Looks like others here who are using the actual Photoshop interface are essentially running into the same thing: Unknowingly trying to save to either a file location that does not exist or is too high far up (i.e. directly on their hardrive) where they run into permission issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines