• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Couldn't Find an Object to Select."

Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of a few days ago, my "Object Selection Tool" has stopped working. Magic and Quick work as they always have, but for some reason, when I go to Object Selection the same error message appears every single time.

"Couldn't find an object to select. There might not be enough edge contrast, or the object might be too small."

I have to crop out garments from white backgrounds nearly every day for my job so it is not like the images have altered or differed for there to be an issue that way.

I have tried resetting the tool, messing with the "Sample All Layers", "Hard Edge" etc, but nothing seems to work.

Help please.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a sample image for us to test? And show a screenshot of the options bar for your Object Selection tool?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've attached an image of a Mascot Workwear garment. I could go through 20 odd of these some days where it's just the white background that needs removing. I find that Object Selection is the neatest way to do this without drawing around with the Pen Tool, something that I don't have time to do. And Quick or Magic can sometimes be a bit messy on the edges so they are no good in the longterm.

18365-511_Black_Screenshot.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@SmythKinsella 

The Object Selection tool works fine here on your image. Since resetting the tool didn't work for you, you might have to reset preferences. If you do it manually, you can restore the file if it doesn't work.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Scroll to the heading "Manually".

Jane

Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 11.13.24.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select Subject will give you better edges here and you can also make an action out of it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select Subject will give you better edges here and you can also make an action out of it...

By @Earth Oliver

Select Subject is another option, Earth, and it's good to mention.

In this case I got clean edges with the method @SmythKinsella asked for help with. Both are viable choices, depending on the subject.

janee_1-1661355742844.png

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2022 Dec 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how did you resolve it ?????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing is happening to me. Using the latest version of Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2023 Jun 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem for a long time, but finally I found a solution by changing some settings:

MapleArmorMarketing_0-1685650035433.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2024 Jan 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what are those settings noone is showing the answers for solutions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@HeLIEl22 If you're having a similar problem, would you be able to post a screenshot? There could be different reasons for not being able to make a selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2024 Jan 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And don’t forget to include all the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) in the screenshot. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2024 Feb 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Under Preferences > Performance > Uncheck "Use Graphic Processor". You may need to turn it back on to use the "Perspective Warp" tool, for instance. This worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Selecting Sample All Layers should work if you are using a selection tool but you're made a new layer where are there are no pixels to select. I couldn't see your layers panel in your screenshot, but I could see that Sample All Layers wasn't selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines