• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"New Smart Object Via Copy" issues

Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wondering if anyone else has this issue. I create many versions of smart object label wraps over product images, so brand managers can decide which versions of artwork they want to approve. In order to use the same label warping I indicate "New Smart Object Via Copy" to update my labels, and it has worked perfectly over the years. Lately when I go back into a Photoshop file, I'll double click on one of the copied smart object layers, and although it previews correctly in Photoshop, by the time it opens in Illustrator the file is the first version of the artwork, not the previewed, altered/edited version of artwork. I'm not exactly sure if this is a Photoshop, Illustrator or Libraries (a function which I don't utilize — and I'm wondering if I need to) error. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Hi Nancy,

I have, and I personally have stopped using Libraries because they created more confusion on where my assets were and how to access them when I needed them.

Let us know if this does fix the issue, or if you are still having problems.

Thanks so much for the feedback,

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should show example of the templates you create.  IMO you should have a mockup template for each product that support the replacement  of labels that have a particular aspect ratio.  Have duplicated template for these products that support  a different aspect ration label design. It is easy to use multiple templates then a single template the Support many aspect ratio labels.  That template will be complex to create and difficult to populate wite your replacement labels.  Keep things simple process your collection  X:Y Aspect Ratio Design  into your Product mockup templates that support X:Y aspect ratio designs.  Batch your  X:Y Template collection with your Collection of X:Y designs.   Have a batch job for  Aspect ratio collections you have.  Templates will be small easy to create, maintain and populate with Photoshop automation.   

Replacement Designs should not  be RAW Files or Vector image files like .svg and .ai files for Photoshop does not support those file types a script cans not change the imags contemnt in any way.  Only Replace content could be used with RAW and Vector files.  They would have to have exactly the same Aspect Ratio, Size  and Print resolution as  the smart objects in the templates. 

Same goes for smart object in your templates.  They should not be Placed RAW files or Placed Vector Files they will not open in Photoshop. A  Photoshop can not open these in Photoshop to replace layers current content.  Only replace content can be used.  Replacements would have to have exactly the same Aspect Ratio, Size  and Print resolution as  the smart objects in the templates.    

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJMack, thank you for your reply, but this is not the issue I'm having. And I can't post any examples here because I have to keep my work confidential. I do appreciate your response, however!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Just wanted to check--what version of Photoshop are you using? And what version of Ilustrator?

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michelle, thanks for your question. I'm using Photoshop 22.20 and Illustrator 25.2.3. I do believe this is a Libraries issue, though I haven't discovered exactly how / why yet. I just turned off the default "add to my libraries" button when importing smart objects into Photoshop and hope this is a fix. I really don't use, nor care to use libraries... Have you encountered anything similar on your end? -Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy,

I have, and I personally have stopped using Libraries because they created more confusion on where my assets were and how to access them when I needed them.

Let us know if this does fix the issue, or if you are still having problems.

Thanks so much for the feedback,

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I turned off the default "add to libraries" the issues has disappeared. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yay! I'm glad to hear it. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines