Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 4 brand new MacBook Pro16,1 (16-inch 2019) with:
* 2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
* 32 GB 2667 Mhz DDR4
* AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4GB
* 1 TB SSD

Photoshop memory is set to 70% or ~20 gigs.

My users are getting "out of memory (RAM)" errors all over the place. Some of the complaints I've seen are:
* Could not complete the About Photoshop command because there is not enough memory (RAM)
* Could not build a preview because there is not enough memory (RAM)
* Could not save a copy as <filename>.jpg because there is not enough memory (RAM)
* Could not use the move tool because there is not enough memory (RAM)

This occurs on Photoshop 23.1.0 and Photoshop 23.1.1 and a clean install of Monterey.

It doesn't matter how big the file is. I've seen it happen on files the size of 5 megs, 600 megs, and 1200 megs.

It doesn't seem to matter what file format it is. I've seen it happen on files types .psd, .png, and .jpg.

Getting the error message is not predictable. You can preform the same sequence over and over again and only get the memory error once, then your are stuck with the error. Restarting Photoshop and/or the computer will get past the problem for moment but that doesn't help while Designers are working on a file or freaking out because their work can't be saved due to these memory errors. 

I have determined that every time the "not enough memory" error occurs, the Photoshop→About Photoshop menu item also doesn't work.

My theory is, if Adobe will fix the About Photoshop menu item, they will also fix all the other "not enough memory" errors.

Does anyone have an idea about how to stop all these memory issues from occurring?

Rob

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much scratch disk space is available? Photoshop needs a LOT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By 'clean' do you mean you didn't use Migration assistant to move anything from an old computer to these ones?

Curious why you have old installs on these machines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would probably install the latest updates (23.2.1) and make sure you're in a default state and there are no stale setting somewhere:
Restore your preferences using this manual method:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually
Does it work correctly?
If that doesn't solve it, you can quit Photoshop and put the Settings folder back.
If it does solve the problem, I would like to get the folder of settings to try and figure out what is bad with them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lumigraphics, These computers have 1 TB SSD. On average, these computers have about 800 gigs free. One computer with the least amount to disk space is 250 gigs. Is this enough for Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awe sh*t! I wrote a whole long great response answering your questions and then when I hit Post, the community board lost it! Geesh!

Too depressed to rewrite it now. I'll try again next week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If there is enough free disk space, then a preferences reset and possibly cleaning them off and reinstalling CC is the next step.

Also, are you using a AV product? Antivirus on the Mac can be problematic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines