• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"There was an error opening your printer. Printing functions will not be available...."

New Here ,
Feb 10, 2016 Feb 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"There was an error opening your printer. Printing functions will not be available until you have selected a printer and reopened any documents."

Ever since the latest CC 2015 update (and maybe before that? I don't remember.), I can print from Illustrator, InDesign, etc., but NOT from Photoshop. I tried to read through the forums, and it seems like Adobe blames the printer companies and vice versa. I made sure I was using the latest printer drivers for both Epson Stylus Pro 11880 and HP Color LaserJet MFP M476dn (0F594D), both of which were printing fine out of Photoshop before. Now, when I open a file in PS, I can click on Print once. The above message appears in its own little window: "There was an error opening your printer. Printing functions will not be available until you have selected a printer and reopened any documents". After that, the Print... and the "Print One Copy" commands are both grayed out. But I HAVE selected a printer.

Any thoughts?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 10, 2016 Feb 10, 2016

Hi ThosRDyer,

Please follow the below steps :

• Quit and relaunch Photoshop
  • Open a file to be printed
  • Go to File menu > hover your mouse over Print> Press and hold the spacebar key

This would reset the Print Preferences for Photoshop and should open the print settings dialog box.

Regards,

Chetna

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arhhh - Video do not exist anymore 😞

Any help elsewhere ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like from this thread, this has been a problem for five years now. Seems pretty ridiculous. In the meantime, I can no longer print to my Canon Pixma Pro 100. This happened suddenly and in front of a client. Embarrassing. New and permanently working remedies are welcome. Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike Price

done this 

• Quit and relaunch Photoshop
  • Open a file to be printed
  • Go to File menu > hover your mouse over Print> Press and hold the spacebar key

ARRRRRRGH.  don't work

suggestions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone, 

I managed to fix this issue for me....My PC lost its 'default printer' setting at some point and might have triggered this. By setting my PC to have a default printer again the problem was fixed. Yay! Hope this helps someone, maybe even the developers could change the message to suggest checking the default printer.

I had tried most of the sensible suggestions in this thread (settings files, spacebar trick, different documents). Photoshop was the only application having problems printing. My printer is a shared printer over the network from another computer (not locally attached). Could make a difference I don't know. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2021 Feb 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After I tried this suggestion, I don't even have an active 'Print' button but only from Photoshop. Printing fine from Preview app. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One day, the Freaking Adobe Goblin came and rendered my own Photoshop print-powers, powerless as well~! Following this thread in hopes a magical spell will appear from Adobe -to ensure why I pay 29.99 a month when I can't even PRINT from Photoshop!??!! I am about to move to ArtStudio Pro and other apps 100% if they can't get this fixed---WAY too much FRUSTRATION! I tried everything listed on this thread, and defaulted my printer---reinstalled adobe creative cloud, apps, and even the printer---NADA. The Adobe has a Troll in it's system and it is sooooooo crappy that I can't even get someone from Adobe to help, but they leave us here for FIVE years knowing this is messed up--without a fix. Let the mere humans, try to solve their own help-sessions. 

Thanks Adobe. Grrrrrrrrrr......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everyone, heads up! This is a well known software bug within Adobe's software. Demand that they fix it or give us free service until they do:

Hi Renee

Greetings from Adobe and a very Happy New Year

We are in constant touch with engineering team who are working on the issue. Since the issue needs some major changes in APIs from our end, and its a big effort hence its going to take time. Engineering team has planned to take it in 2021 and the issue is very much in their radar. So the fix should hopefully be implemented this year but unfortunately we dont have any timeline on that. We will keep you posted as and when the fix is implemented

Thanks
Anadi Anupam | Lead Technical Support Consultant (Photography & Elements) | Customer Experience | Adobe Inc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2021 Feb 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed! Fix it or give us a refund. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this issue on my Dell XPS 15 laptop, but not on my Dell XPS 8700 desktop. I have tried so many troubleshooting steps attempting to fix it. I even tried the registry fix, with no luck. Does anyone have any new solutions for this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2021 Jun 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this issue on my Dell XPS 15.  I can print from Adobe Acrobat, but not from Photoshop.  Have tried all the fixes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this issue on my Dell XPS 15.  I can print from Adobe Acrobat, but not from Photoshop.  Have tried all the fixes.

By Prilbert
same here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was fixed that error in Windows PC with tip: 

Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features > Click "Turn windows features on or off" > Tick on box "Microsoft print to PDF" and back to photoshop to enjoy.

Hope to help for Someone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2023 Nov 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this problem- I was able to reset preference by holding Shift, Ctrl, Alt and starting PS, it asks if you want to delete preferences- hit yes. This solved my issues. I also know if you go to preferences, go to general and turn off auto save it helps. Mine doesn't have that option but doing the reset upon opening does-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2024 Feb 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone in the future dealing with this without having a printer just like me, this is what I was told to do and worked: 

- find 'devices and printers' on ur pc, there are fake printers and just click any right click and 'set as default printer'

- If u dont have any there or deleted create generic/fake printer without connecting any printer (google steps)

Photoshop has that error when it cant connect to the printer! Just add one, right click make it main and it fixed 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2024 Feb 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirmed.
I was having the same issue.
I went to Windows > Settings > Devices > Printers & Scanners

• Removed any old printer drivers
  • Unticked - "Let Windows Manage My Default Printer"
  • A Default printer was automatically assigned

ApplicationFrameHost_dGLrosp6qh.jpg

Started PS, opened a file...

I still get the "Waiting for Printer Connection" error, but it clears after a second or two. No Crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2024 Mar 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi. A day wasted here. My solution goes along the previous answer :

I deleted all my printers, still had the error.

I thought that we someway had to replace the default printer, but deleting all is not enough.

So i manually added a "virtual printer".

Click on add device, let it search for a few seconds, then it will suggest to add manually !

Click on it, then "Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings".

"Use an existing port" > Next

Then I had the preselected choice "Adobe PDF Converter".

I took it > Next, done.

Now this virtual printer is my default printer.

Problem solved for me, photoshop doesn't crash anymore !

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines