• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Raw Name not saved to metadata

Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I often need to check in metadata for the original raw file name. It was automatically saved to metada before when i generated files usign Image Processor. Now it is no longer showing in bridge or finder (mac)

The reason i need this feature is that often clients rename the files and later ask for the images again. So I just serch my archive using the raw filename.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should be in the Bridge metadata panel, as "Preserved filename". Make sure this post is visible in Br preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tks for your reply. I did make it visible but it shows as "empty", just like raw filename

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, @nelloa56986431 does the issue occur only on Bridge 13.0.2, when using Image Processor? (is preserve checked in the batch rename options?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I Batch Rename a raw file the original name is preserved in metadata under "Preserved Filename"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All my raw files come from Lightroom, and I'm not aware of any special settings. Preserved filename is always there:

preserved.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guess it is an issue with Image Processor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just batch renamed a file in Br, then used Image processor to JPG. 
The resulting jpeg in the folder has kept the preserved filename.

Not sure if you are doing something different. Do you run an action? when do you rename? can you share the IP settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, @nelloa56986431  what about the exact version of Bridge you are using?

And, to make sure, it is not Image Processor Pro, but the standard version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @PECourtejoie tks for the reply. Bridge Version is 13.0.2.636

I'm using the built in Image Processor. I've tested Image Processor Pro and it does save the preserved filename. 
Guess I'll start using it (Pro). Don't know about you but I can't louch it directly from bridge in later vertions. So I have to select images om Bridge go to PS run Image Processor Pro. But it does the job very well.

I think it is funny that Bridge has 2 batch generating tools built in (Image Processor, Export Panel) and both are worse then the third party Image Processor Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@nelloa56986431 I cannot agree more, see, vote and post in  my feature request to get it by default: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-ideas/image-processor-pro-by-default/idi-p/131865...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once someone reproduces the issue, maybe would it be wise to post it on the bridge uservoice: https://adobebridge.uservoice.com/ (what I'm not tracking is the fact that Image Processor does not rename the files, I'm lost at this point.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nelloa,

Did you put the

photoshop_ximage_processor_pro.jsx

into

Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Startup Scripts CC/Adobe Photoshop

that should put the Image Processor Pro in the Tools>Photoshop menu in Bridge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did, and it does show under the menu. But when I use it it got to PS and then does nothing. The Image Processor Pro windows does not pop up. But it works if I launch it from PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll need to check when I am in front of a computer, however, I think that raw filename and preserved filename are different separate metadata entries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2023 Feb 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed they are diffrent. But in my case any thats preserved would sufice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is easy to do in bulk with Bridge.

ExifTool is another option for bulk images.

A Photoshop script can also set the preserved filename metadata on individual images but isn't as clean as the previous two options from a workflow perspective.

View my previous posts on this topic here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/find-the-original-name-of-an-image/m-...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/bridge-discussions/batch-rename-preserving-original-filename-and-modi...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/bridge-discussions/quot-preserve-current-filename-in-xmp-metadata-quo...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still lost, there is not rename going on, besides the extension, if using PP without an action, no?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@PECourtejoie - With Bridge Batch Rename, one can make a "null" rename, finding and replacing say the dot in the extension - with a dot, just to force the original filename to be written to the preserved filename metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I see, but if I then understand, her issue is that, in her case, IP did erase that preserved filemane, which I've not been able to replicate, were you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is indeed prossible to fix the issue by adding steps to the workflow. Just trying to be more efficient.

To replicate the issue try to generate JPGs from using IP without any renaming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So instead of DSC1234.nef, you get DSC1234.jpg as the name, but expected to get DSC1234.nef in the preserved filename? And you do get it with IPP? Technically, besides its extension, the filename has not changed...

(I'm not discounting your problem, but trying to understand it)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I undertand and apreciate the effort. I get a blank field

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did it work as you expect in the past? When did the issue start?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@PECourtejoie – No, I can't reproduce the issue with IP or IPP using preserved filename metadata to JPEG or other formats which support this metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines