• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

re: PSD layers not found in EPS file in Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have watched multiple video tutorials and read many how-to's, but I still cannot find a solution to my problem. 

Problem: My goal is to convert layered PSD files with texts, images, etc, to a workable file for an Apparel printer. 

At this point, I'm thinking my PSD file is set up incorrectly because no matter how many times I try to create both layered PDFs, or EPS, neither of them work when converted into AI. The layers are simply missing. 

Something to note: I know I ultimately should be creating these files in Illustrator, but while I'm learning that program it is faster for me to create graphics in Photoshop in the meantime.

Nonetheless, I feel like these should still possess the ability for conversion. (I already searched) but if there is a thread with a solution to this inquiry, please link me. 

I Hope I provided enough information but if not please let me know. Thank you!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a difference with PDF and EPS files between Illustrator and Photoshop.

Photoshop is a raster program and will not give your apparel printer the proper file format even when saving to PDF or EPS. They will come through as a flattened raster graphic.

You need to rebuild this as layers in Adobe Illustrator - maintaining the vector properties when saving as a PDF or EPS via "Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities" options.

Talk to your apparel vendor - they may want vector graphics for their software not raster which means Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response. I'm aware of all of that. I'm stuck at trying to convert the file into AI though despite following step by step in handfuls of tutorials to this problem.

The reason for doing it in PSD in the first place is because the learning curve with AI using these same files and mockup was steep, so trying to "rebuild in Illustrator" is not an option at the moment. 

Do you have a recommended solution other than "rebuilding" in ai? 

Thanks in advance 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Layer" in Photoshop does not mean the same thing as "layer" in Illustrator. They are different things. A Photoshop layer can never be transferred to Illustrator, it has no idea what to do with them. A Photoshop file will always open as a flat raster image in Illustrator.

Don't be misled by the fact that both applications can open PDF and EPS. Both those formats can contain both vector and raster data. And raster data is what you get from Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understood. Thank you for your reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Littlekombucha wrote:

Problem: My goal is to convert layered PSD files with texts, images, etc, to a workable file for an Apparel printer. 

If the apparel printer requires vector, you will not achieve that by creating raster in Photoshop and converting it to Illustrator. It's still raster. 

"Do you have a recommended solution other than "rebuilding" in ai? "

Most likely you will need to start from scratch in Illustrator if your goal is to have a workable file for an apparel printer. You might be able to bring some of it over, but it's hard to say without seeing the image and the Layers panel. Paths can be copied for instance.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply!

I had asked the printer in the beginning what kind of files they needed. He assured me what I was already working with in PSD would work. Turns out, it's not. So ... I'm stuck. lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case I would give your printer the native PSD file and ask them to convert it. If that is the format they want they should be able to handle that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they are now saying its not the right format, you seem to keep coming back to the same hard answer - rebuild in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Understood. Thanks for the reply

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines