Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Re-Select previously selected layer in custom action

Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I would like to create a custom action in Photoshop which is supposed to do the following steps:

1. Select group "overlay-main"

2. Set its opacity to 50%

3. Select the layer (or group) which had been selected when the action was triggered (i.e. before step 1).

Is something like that possible with actions? An alternative would be an action-step which changes the opacity of a specific group ("overlay-main" in my case) without selecting it, i.e. without changing the layer selection at all. Is that maybe possible?

Or would I have to use the plugin API and write a plugin to achieve something like that?

Thanks,

Jan

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

2021-11-16_16-06-12.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the time being a Script (in JavaScript) would suffice. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good idea, thanks - didn't know that there's a simple JS scripting API. I'll check that out for sure, a first glance at the provided scripts shows me that it's probably quite easy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For people who do not understand, really like ~ completely can't find the entranceT the administrator, please do not hold to see become a little bit about the.. A: the

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moderator please mark above comment as the spam (unless that has sense I can't see).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was thinking the same - either a stroke (I hope not) or a bot...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

He liked 2 posts of me in this thread, including the above one, so probably not a bot 😉

If that's the user it's okay. Let's him explain what he means by his comment...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2021-11-16_16-06-12.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A nifty work-around! 

But if more than one Layer were selected at the beginning I think Scripting would be hard to avoid. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If such layers go one after another, then we can create a group, and then ungroup it. If the selection of layers is arbitrary, yes, I think only with a script. But, I think, @Jan5E8E  does not need it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool, thanks! I'll use that for now and look into scripting later with a bit more time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'Layer via Copy' is something I would suggest as well for described problem 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines