• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Re: Type layer not editable and type tool not working...

New Here ,
Jul 24, 2019 Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't seem to double click on a text layer any more to edit the type and the type bounding box won't show when i use the type tool to select the text. This worked yesterday but not today. I have logged out of adobe cloud, quit photoshop and reopened photoshop and the problem is still there. Is there a shortcut key or setting i might have activated that got ride of this capability and how do i get it back?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2019 Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please start a new post with a screenshot of you layers, adn what your OS & Photoshop version is. Make sure you log back into cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Branched to a new discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nicole:

Here's a quick primer on type layers.

Editable type layers will have a [ T ] thumbnail on their layers. There are two types of type layers: point type and area type.

If the layer is a point type layer—meaning you clicked to start typing—double click the [ T ] to begin editing it. Point text is used for short strings of text. You will not see a bounding box.
Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 3.21.04 PM.png

If the layer is an area type layer—meaning you drew a bounding box before typing—double click the [ T ] to start editing. Area type is used for paragraphs of text that need to word-wrap.
Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 3.20.57 PM.png

Other layers may have type that is not editable—perhaps because it was rasterized (converted to pixels) or converted to a smart object. Note the gray badge on thumbnail for a smart layer.

Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 3.17.01 PM.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My type layers aren't editable anymore.  How can I fix this?  In the Layers menu, there isn't a "T" anymore denoting that the layer is a text layer.

Yes I'm able to create new text layers and edit them.

I just upgraded to version 23.4.1, from the previous version, but that didn't solve the prroblem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could this be a result of not using Open Type fonts? (I don't know)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, signfeld.  

I think it's because I didn't use Open Type fonts.  

Does this mean I must redo my type completely in my several hundred photoshop files that I also  made in True Type fonts?  That would take many hours of work - maybe even days of work.

Tony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I haven't experimented with that, sorry.

There's still a pinned thread on top, I think.

I had hoped that it at least would show in some form — bitmap, or a form we could make into bitmap — so we could get away with it in some cases we don't need changes. Otherwise I'm afraid you have to remake it or edit these in a previous version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines