• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Regretting upgrading

New Here ,
Apr 16, 2023 Apr 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since 2014 I have been quite happily using Adobe CS6 programs on my company laptop, and before that since the days of Aldus Pagemaker. I have just made the decision to upgrade the computer and in doing so, I had to comply to use the 'new' online Adobe programs.
My question is this, is it the case that the new programs cannot cope with large files or complex editing any more and keep crashing (although this comment pertains to Photoshop, the same problem is with Dreamweaver and Illustrator), or am I doing something wrong. Surely upgrade of programs should be an improvement to the user, not a hinderence.
I'm quite happy with short replies, yes/no or one sentence, I do not wish to take up too much time of other users.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had no issues with Photoshop, Premiere Pro, After Effects, or AME.

Make sure your specs are higher than the minimum requirements.

There have been other uses with problems, but of course there always will be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My fiiles are sometimes quite large (in gibabytes) and I have no problems working with them in Creative Cloud.  However, my aging workstatation has almost 3 TB of available hard disk space (combined) and 32 GB of RAM.

Bottom line, your user experience with modern software is almost entirely dependant on your CPU, GPU and available memory.  Without adequate equipment & memory, the experience can be very frustrating if not unworkable.

Most Creative Cloud apps work on these OSs with latest updates:

• Windows 11 (64-bit), Windows 10 versions 22H2, 21H2, 21H1;
  • MacOS 13 (Ventura), 12 (Monterey), macOS 11 (Big Sur).

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
- https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html
- https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html
- https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html

Hope that helps.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to you Nancy (and the others) for your prompt reply.

I have been experimenting with the Photoshop file with problems - and it appears that the problem lies when trying to change a font. In my experience the font list seems very long, could this be the problem and if so how do I change this?
I have been through checks suggested by the Adobe error report including disabling the GPU, disabling third-party plugins and resetting the font cache. The problem still persists, and as a result I have got my old laptop with OS X 10.10.5 and completed the job. Although I have been using Adobe products for a long time, I have never had cause to go problem solving before, so for this I am pretty useless.
The laptop is a Macbook M1Pro and Ventura 13.2
Photoshop is 24.2.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears it could be a font clash. The font I want to use is not in the menu (but it is in Illustrator and InDesign). So I will remove the font and see if that is the cause.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have been experimenting with the Photoshop file with problems - and it appears that the problem lies when trying to change a font.

By @Andrew28872329uxal

I'm not clear on what problem you are experiencing exactly.

If you can give us more info on your symptoms we may be able to better guide you on possible troubleshooting steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The applications should not normally be crashing on professional workloads, or thousands of business customers would stop paying. It is more likely that there is something specific to your system that might be related. Nothing that you are doing wrong, but an issue that just needs troubleshooting.

As a starting point, what Mac model and configuration are you using?

I have also been doing this work since the days of Aldus PageMaker 2.0. But I feel strongly that the current applications on my M1 Pro MacBook Pro (the older version of a midrange model) is by far the fastest, smoothest experience I have ever had with these applications, a major step up from any Intel Mac for example. It is the first time I have owned a computer that has no problem handling everything I throw at it, from large photo editing to video editing/animation. I can run the laptop for weeks between reboots. No, it is not totally glitch-free, but none of the past combinations of applications and Macs have ever been this good and productive for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"although this comment pertains to Photoshop, the same problem is with Dreamweaver and Illustrator."

=============

Are your Dreamweaver sites defined and do those site folders reside on your primary HDrive?

Have you checked your crash logs to determine what is causing apps to crash?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is it the case that the new programs cannot cope with large files or complex editing any more and keep crashing (although this comment pertains to Photoshop, the same problem is with Dreamweaver and Illustrator), or am I doing something wrong?

By @Andrew28872329uxal

Definitely can cope with large files and complex editing. If it didn't, there would be an outcry from power users.

Hard to comment on your specific situation without more info about your system configuration, your workflow and what issues you are facing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines