Exit

Regular filters won't work after colorization

Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2022 May 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Loaded B/W photo

Neural filter to colorize--worked well

Menu to filter gallery to apply ANY filter to new colorized layer and image is reduced to two color rough image. Filter does not show results and if pressing save does not apply a filter. Attached is a file showing what the image looks like when trying to apply a filter and image beforehand after applying colorization. (Can't use video as the Win 10 Game capture does not record the filter gallery for some reason--just shows mouse movements on top of original image)

Win 10 build 19043

Surface Book 2, i5 7300 w 2 cores

8 Gb RAM

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 29, 2022 May 29, 2022

@andybc123 

I'm not positive I understand your question, but I think the issue is this:

When you apply Colorize, Photoshop does the colorization non-destructively and puts the color on a separate layer. You only have that layer open in the Filter gallery in your screenshot. If you were to flatten the two layers, it should work as expected (but keep reading.)

Flattening the two layers is destructive, so a much better idea is to "stamp" a new composite layer and use that for the Filter Gallery

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2022 May 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@andybc123 

I'm not positive I understand your question, but I think the issue is this:

When you apply Colorize, Photoshop does the colorization non-destructively and puts the color on a separate layer. You only have that layer open in the Filter gallery in your screenshot. If you were to flatten the two layers, it should work as expected (but keep reading.)

Flattening the two layers is destructive, so a much better idea is to "stamp" a new composite layer and use that for the Filter Gallery.

• Hold down Alt and choose Merge Visible from the Layers panel menu
    or
  • Use the keyboard shortcut Shift+Alt+Ctrl+E (Shift-Option-⌘-E) to stamp a copy of the two layers

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/layers.html >  Scroll to "Stamp multiple layers or linked layers"

If you still have a question or if I am misunderstanding your post, please show a screenshot of your Layers panel.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, @jane-e. I think you nailed it. Of course the colorized layer is not a "complete" photo--it's a layer! Stamp idea is perfect.

andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome, @andybc123 , and I'm happy to help.

In addition, be sure to create a Smart Object of the stamped layer before applying filters from the Filter Gallery. When they are applied directly to the layer, it's destructive editing. When filters are applied to a SO, they can be edited, hidden, deleted, moved, and copied.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines