• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Release 24.1 crashes frequently whenever using layer made with the select object tool.

Explorer ,
Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 24.1.  Windows 11.  Object select seems to crash frequently whenever using the object select tool.  It does not seem to happen during the selection process but later when using the selected area.  For example, I recently did a selection and then opened a new curves layer and Photoshop crashed.  It is not just curves but seems to be varied.  It is also not easily repeatable.  I cannot find a sequence which consistently causes the crash.  It is random but seems to occur rather consistently.    When I restart photoshop and reopen the same picture it starts as a recovery but before the selection was started.  

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

Hi!

We are sorry to hear you are running into this problem. It is a known issue and here is a link to a possible workaround until it gets fixed: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/known-issues.html

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

We are sorry to hear you are running into this problem. It is a known issue and here is a link to a possible workaround until it gets fixed: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/known-issues.html

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The NVIDIA driver your asking me to install is a downlevel version from the one I already have.  Is this correct?  It is the level I was running before I installed the new level about a week ago.  I was having the same problem on the old level also. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Photoshop crashes, this is the first thing to do, try resetting your Photoshop preferences. Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (macOS) immediately after launching Photoshop. You will be prompted to delete the current settings. You can also reset preferences upon a quit if Photoshop is running by going into General Preferences>General>Reset on Quit.

(macOS only) Open the Preferences folder in the Library folder*, and drag the Adobe Photoshop CS Settings folder to the Trash.

If that doesn't fix the issue:
Go to Preferences > Performance... and uncheck Multithreaded Compositing - and restart Photoshop.
Still crashing? 
Go to Preferences > Performance... click Advanced Settings... and uncheck "GPU Compositing" - then restart Photoshop. Still crashing?  

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would check with your Graphics card manufacturer to see if that would be the right way to go. But definitely try what @TheDigitalDog is suggesting first.

Michelle 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also Photoshop 24.1. Windows 11, and same issue. 

Also, selections on 24.1 are just not as accurate than on previous versions.  But I'm about to throw in the towel and revert to an older version, because PS 24,1 hates the GPU on both of my PS's, including the one I just bought in November!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To go back (revert) to previous versions, use the Adobe Creative Cloud application, next to the product you want to revert, click on... (three little dots) and pick "other versions."
If turning OFF the GPU works, it's a GPU bug, and you need to contact the manufacturer or find out if there's an updated driver for it. This is why disabling GPU is an option as more and more functionality moves to the GPU in newer versions of many Adobe products.

Also see: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/acr-gpu-faq.html

Disable third-party graphics accelerators. Third-party GPU overclocking utilities and haxies aren't supported.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2022 Dec 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please note, per mglush, this is a known problem and the downgrae of the GPU drives is a workaround until a fix is found.  Guess I will go backward. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If GPU's are this unstable, is it a good strategy to keep moving more function to a GPU?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"If GPU's are this unstable, is it a good strategy to keep moving more function to a GPU?"

Yes it is good policy because the product can be much faster. 

Many GPUs (mine as an example) isn't at all unstable. 

It's like asking, should the minimum processor requirements for a version of an Adobe product circa 2022 also allow and work with processors circa 2012? This has never been the case. Software from thousands of companies evolves with the hardware and technology. 

Your options are simple and don't require Adobe cripple future functionality and speed:

Live with the current issue (worst option). 

Roll back to older versions that run on your hardware, and stay there. No one forces you to update the software. 

Update your hardware to work with modern software. 

This isn't and shouldn't be an option and, thankfully, isn't: cripple functionality and speed to support old hardware or buggy hardware (which is often the case with GPU issues). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I don't appreciate your analogy.  My GPU is about 4 months old and a high end one.  I intentionally bought this computer because of the GPU.  It is accepted by Photoshop.  This is a $4000 computer which was purchased in August 2022 - hardly a 2017 version.  By the way, downgrading the software for the driver seems to be working.  Maybe photoshop needs to keep their software up to speed with new versions of drivers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your 4 month old GPU has a buggy driver. 

My 3 month GPU doesn't.

Contact the GPU manufacture and request a fix. 

Or roll back to a version of your Adobe. software that doesn't use you GPU.

If you wish to roll back to an older version, use the Creative Cloud application, click on the three dots (...) and select “Other Versions”.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just so you know, I first wrote and the managed the development of PRODUCTION level software for 40+ years.  I know how difficult it is to make software that always runs (imagine Photoshop being the software in your airplane).  First, if you are going to use hardware like a GPU you always test it will ALL GPU's you support and you DO NOT release until it works.  Second, unless the GPU's use a stable interface for code, you do not use them.  Imaging trying to keep up with something that changes constantly - it has failure written all over it.  That was the basis for my question.  I understand that it makes it work faster but your process MUST insure that what is released works with both 3 and 4 month old GPU's.  That's the job of software managers and programmers - not end users. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just so you know, I first wrote and the managed the development of PRODUCTION level software for 40+ years.  I know how difficult it is to make software that always runs (imagine Photoshop being the software in your airplane).  First, if you are going to use hardware like a GPU you always test it will ALL GPU's you support and you DO NOT release until it works.  Second, unless the GPU's use a stable interface for code, you do not use them.  Imaging trying to keep up with something that changes constantly - it has failure written all over it.  That was the basis for my question.  I understand that it makes it work faster but your process MUST insure that what is released works with both 3 and 4 month old GPU's.  That's the job of software managers and programmers - not end users. 

By @davids75404240

Yet here we are; one (many volunteer users) with zero GPU issues and you here with one, asking for help.

You disabled GPU in preferences as recommend and the results were?

this is a known problem and the downgrae of the GPU drives is a workaround until a fix is found

A fix in the GPU driver YES!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines