• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RELOADING ACTIONS INTO NEW VERSION OF PHOTOSHOP.

New Here ,
Nov 05, 2022 Nov 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used CS2 for many years but is now no longer functioning and I now need to to purchase the new version of CC or CS6.  I have about 120 actions in CS2 which I have previously saved as atn files on a separate drive ( along with preferred gradients,brushes,etc).

If I buy CC or CS6,can I simply load my saved actions into the new version,or are there any technical reasons why that cannot be done?

Ian.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ian moore 

In CS2 you need to save the Action Sets (folders) as .atn files (Action panel menu). If you edited any actions, save the Set again. You can then Load the Sets from the Action panel menu.

This does not guarantee that all actions will work in a current version of CC, as things have changed. For instance, if the image does not meet all of the conditions for the .jpeg format (flat, 8-bit, etc.), you now need to use Save As Copy.

It's easy to edit actions. Just record the new step and copy it into the other actions. Drag and drop will move steps within an action. Option/Alt + Drag and drop will copy a step to another action. You can also click the record button and continue recording into a current action.

You'll have to test the actions and might need to step through some or rewrite others. With luck most will work. If you have trouble, start a new thread for each. Resize your Action panel taller and wider, and click the discloser triangle so we can see the troublesome steps.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can load them without concern. If any old steps no longer work the same, they can be updated/re-recorded.

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2017/01/photoshop-custom-action-file-backup.html

P.S. Buying CS6 = Caveat Emptor! You are purchasing a hopefully valid software key and license to use old software that is no longer updated or supported from a vendor who is not Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I now need to to purchase the new version of CC or CS6.

By @ian moore

As Stephen says. There is no new version of CS6, hasn't been for 8 or 9 years. Subscription is now the only way - $10 a month for the Photography plan including Lightroom.

This needs to be emphasized because the market is still full of pirated CS6 copies. If you're offered one, turn and walk away. It's not "probably" pirated, it's absolutely dead certain to be pirated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks all for speedy response.

It looks like I will be subscribing for the latest version from Adobe. I certainly will not be buying anything pirated.

I will first of all check if there are any particular specs that my laptop has to meet to allow CC to work. I want to try to avoid buying a new laptop.

Ian.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ian moore wrote:

I will first of all check if there are any particular specs that my laptop has to meet to allow CC to work. I want to try to avoid buying a new laptop.

System requirements are here, and there is a link for earlier versions:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html

Adobe offers the current version and one previous. ProDesign tools has some links for direct downloads for older versions, which will work with your paid subscription:

https://prodesigntools.com/

You can install multiple versions, which you might do while testing on your system. @D Fosse will tell you to

• install oldest to newest
  • uninstall newest to oldest
  • reinstall (if necessary) oldest to newest

...and will clarify if I don't have that exactly right!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, you got that right, Jane 🙂  This is to avoid problems with file associations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2022 Nov 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Jane and D Fosse.

Thanks for all help. I am not much of a technical person - I know how to use Photoshop to interpret my images the way I want,but thats as far as it goes. 

Just to clarify -  I can subscribe for the 7 day free trial ( which becomes a paid subscription automatically) with Adobe. That allows me access to the two most recent versions of Photopshop,plus it allows me access to the earler versions avaiable through prodesign. I can download earlier versions via prodesign to see which version works best (earliest first) and find the best version. 

Is that all correct.?

Ian.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines