Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Removing portions of image beneath a text layer

Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've looked far and wide but don't see a quick way to accomplish this:

There are two layers in a PSD. One is a simple text layer. Beneath that layer is another layer ("image layer") that has a pattern, say polka dots, patterns of lines, etc. 

The goal is, once the text layer is edited (which changes the length of the line of text), a script or some other Photoshop function can be run which deletes any of the polka dots/lines/etc. that are directly beneath the text layer. Ideally the entire polka dot or line will be deleted, even if the text only touches part of that particular graphical element. 

I would greatly appreciate any tips or pointers for how to solve this problem. 

Thanks!

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2022 Apr 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the Type layer selected in the layers panel, you could go Layer>Layer Style>Blending Options, set the Knockout to Shallow and move thw Fill Opacity to Zero (0).

Screenshot-(879).jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2022 Apr 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

Thank you very much. That is a neat effect but I think my original message wasn't entirely clear. What I'm looking to do is to retain the text layer, but delete any graphical elements beneath that layer (e.g. polkadots that touch any portion of the text). 

For instance, in the attached image, if any letter touches one of the dots, the goal is to have the entire dot deleted (not just the portion touching the letter in the text layer). If "Test" was a few characters longer, I would want the circular orange object deleted in the "dots" layer.

Perhaps this could be scripted in JSX somehow, or recorded as a macro. It seems with all of Photoshop's new content aware fill/AI features, this should be possible somehow.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2022 Apr 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can simplify my question, I believe.

Forget the text layer. Assuming a layer with relatively simple graphics like polka dots, is there a way to draw a rectangular selection around a portion of the layer and then delete all objects within the selection - PLUS any portions of the polka dots/etc that extend beyond the selection. In other words, a bit like the magic wand tool but using the rectangular selection tool.

Is this viable? Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

-Make a rectangle to the desired size using the Rectangle Tool.

-With the pen tool selected, Right-click on the rectangle.

-From the dropdown menu, choose Make Selection.

-Select the pattern layer (the layer you want to cut out of)

-To cut within the rectangle:  Edit>Cut

To cut everything outside the selection:  Select>Inverse, then Edit>Cut

adobe-f1.jpgADOBE-F2.jpgADOBE-F3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's on a separate layer, why not just mask out unwanted polka dots from that layer?

Can you show us a screenshot of your workspace including the Layers panel?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines