Exit

Removing strange banding

Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2023-01-11 at 10.09.08.png
Hello everyone.
A document I'm working on includes a number of photos taken on a digital camera in the early 2000s. All of them have an issue with a strange kind of banding — waves of purple throughout each image (it's not just purple fringing), as in the attachment.
Does anyone know any techniques for removing something like this?
Thanks a lot.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Thanks, Leslie!

Mylenium's earlier suggestion also lead me to this thread, which I found useful: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/remove-banding-caused-by-scanner/td-p/9219232

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would look at frequency separation tutorials and pretty much employ the same techniques - extract the luminance, fix the color channels by blurring and painting them, recombine the fixed product with the luminance info. If you're lucky, the individual chzannels may also contain some differential to use as a basis for selective color corrections. Based on your snippet there should be a distinct difference between the red and green channels and using Image --> Calculations: Difference mode it may be possible to isolate the purple waves.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might also try Image>Adjustments>Hue/Saturation and move the Saturaion slider ove to the left until the purple is more muted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Leslie!

Mylenium's earlier suggestion also lead me to this thread, which I found useful: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/remove-banding-caused-by-scanner/td-p...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines