• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Repeated crashing in Photoshop 2022 when opening files

New Here ,
May 21, 2022 May 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the past month whenever I try to open most files in Photoshop 2022 on my PC, the program will display a blank error diologue before force-closing:

Emerys5FBC_0-1653167084233.png

Most of the time this is with files that I've rendered in another program, though it's across a variety of formats: .png, .jpg/.jpeg, and even .psd. All of these are files that had previously opened fine. I don't know which version this started with, though it's currently on 23.3.2. I've tried going back two or three updates, uninstalling and reinstalling Photoshop, fully uninstalling and reinstalling all of my Adobe programs along with Creative Cloud, and the issue persists. The only thing that's worked so far has been fully reverting back to Photoshop 2021. To say I'm frustrated is an understatement. Has anyone else had this issue and/or found a resolution?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting your Photoshop preferences. Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) immediately after launching Photoshop. You will be prompted to delete the current settings. You can also reset preferences upon a quit if Photoshop is running by going into General Preferences>General>Reset on Quit.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gave that a try, unfortunately no luck. I've attempted manually deleting the preferences folder for Photoshop 2022 as well, also no change. And I tried opening Photoshop, disabling "Use Graphics Processor", shutting down Photoshop, then reopening and attempting to open one of my files, with the same result. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Preferences > Performance... and uncheck Multithreaded Compositing - and restart Photoshop. Still crashing?

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like that did it! Unchecked multithreaded compositing, did a full computer restart, then booted Photoshop back up and tested some files that were crashing before, and at least for the moment everything it seeming stable. Thank you for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Emerys5FBC ,

My team and I worked on the Multithreaded Compositing feature.  We're sorry for the frustration this has caused.  This feature is meant to improve Photoshop performance. Can you share your Help -> System Info and some of the PSDs you tried opening with Ps 23.3.2? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also, did you submit an Adobe Crash Reporter after you force-quit Ps?  If so, which email did you provide?  If not, would you be okay to re-enable Multithreaded Compositing and submt a crash reporter now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines