• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Repeating type bug in PSD 24.1.1

Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2023 Jan 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An intermittent bug – or similar – previously reported in community posts like this one:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/repeating-text-pattern-bug/td-p/10372...

...seems to be present in Photoshop 24.1.1 for Mac. Running Ventura 13.1, on Mac Studio M1 Ultra with 128 GB RAM.

Once type is composed – either point type or area – and the Enter key is hit, all or part of the text may appear repeated in various locations across the screen. The point size of the repeats does not necessarily match the original, seems to always be smaller, and can be as small as 2 pixels.

I found that some of the repeated text instances on a layer can take on the Layer Style of a completely separate type layer – for example, a stroke.

The repeated text – or string of pixels if really small – can appear on totally different layers, and sometimes (not always) be plocked by a layer mask on that layer.

At other times, the repeats act like a masking element themselves, and knock out the bitmap art on the affected layer (not the original text layer). This can happen even if there is no mask on the layer.

It seems as though the rendering of certain kinds of shadow effects my be involved; when I rasterized a field blur on one smart object layer, saved, and returned to the parent document, the glitch in that layer had cleared. Same with a drop shadow in another smart layer.

The fonts involved are of various kinds and origins, including SkyFonts or other SAAS type services, although not Type 1.

Rasterizing text layers can allow the glitched to me banually cleared, but my solid fix was to roll back to 24.1.0. Haven't seen the issue since. Re-opening the glitched document, then re-rendering each affected layer by making small changes can clear that layer's repeats.

I can temporarily reinstall 24.1.1 if you need screen grabs.

Thanks.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

No a guarantee, but it's been known to help with display glitches in PS on the Mac.

You can install more than one version of Photoshop so you dont have to lose your current. When you install click to not remove older versions.

Also once in 24.1.1 - you can use Edit>Migrate Presets to bring your workspaces forward to the new version.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @ThoughtNozzle have you gone into Preferences/Technology Preview and checked "Disable Native Canvas"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Kevin…

Thanks for the tip…

I have not. Is this a confirmed fix? I'm hesitant to to reinstall and then roll back again if it doesn't work. (Just now getting my workspace back to normal.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No a guarantee, but it's been known to help with display glitches in PS on the Mac.

You can install more than one version of Photoshop so you dont have to lose your current. When you install click to not remove older versions.

Also once in 24.1.1 - you can use Edit>Migrate Presets to bring your workspaces forward to the new version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that seems to have done it. I went back into deprecated versions of my PSD files, clicked in the text layers and hit Enter to re-render, and the artifacts disappeared. Thanks for that!

As for updating… the CC app used to present a dropdown for each Update button that gave options to remove old versions and migrate settings, but it no longer has that in the Updates list; the options are only available now when you have Auto Update turned on… and I generally do mine manually. The Updates list now only has the Update button itself. Used to be easy to know what ws happening.

Or did they move it to preferences for manual updates and I missed it?

Thanks again for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would always turn off Auto updates and run manually as you do.

The option for removing older installs only shows when you are installing the new version the first time, otherwise the update button only affects the noted installed version - it wouldn't remove older versions on a point upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah! I did not know that. Thanks again…

…Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

BTW/FWIW – After I turned off naive canvas, I started seeing anew bug; when I open a smart object to edit, it's scrambled… looking like tiles that are. bits of the parent document. If I close the smart object and reopen, it previews properly. Never saw that before I turned off native canvas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines