• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resize image and convert to smart object has never worked on my Photoshop installation

Engaged ,
Jan 22, 2023 Jan 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop latest version.

I have different mockups where there is a part of the image that has a smart object so I only have to double click on it, drag into it the image I want and then close save and I have the image integrated in the part of the image I want (It can be a frame, a mug, whatever).

As far as I understand, when I drag the image into the smart object canvas it should resize and convert to another smart object as I have those options activated in general preferences.

This has never worked for me. I need to adjust manually with Ctrl T and if I want it to be a smart object inside a smart object convert also manually.

I am on Windows 10 latest version and Photoshop latest version but it has never worked in previous versions too. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t understand the Layer structure, could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible to clarify? 

»Resize Image During Place« applies only if the placed Smart Object is larger than the canvas it is placed on. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.jpg2.jpg

It is really simple. The interior of the frame (a white rectangle) is the smart object. When I open it and throw an image inside this blank canvas (smart object) if the image is bigger it only shows a small portion of that image (the blank space is full but with a portion) So I have to Ctrl T and downsize and crop or distort to have the full image inside. When I close and save the image is inside the frame now.

What would be great is that there was an option to resize automatically from the center point or upper /below point and fit to frame and leave what does not fit out of the frame, so I can move it around to the left right or down to fit exactly what I want. Another option would be to distort the image if it is not the same aspect ratio than the white rectangle (this would be not useful as I never distort unless it is a 5% or less).

I now do this all manually. No big deal. Just slower than if it could be automated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I now do this all manually. No big deal. Just slower than if it could be automated.

It can be automated via Script. 

Please post screenshots to illustrate the full process. 

What do you mean by »throw an image inside this blank canvas« exactly? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As c.p. says.

When you drag from inside Photoshop you just get a normal layer. When you drag from outside Photoshop you get a smart object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you replace the contents of a smart object either by menu command or by opening, and dragging new content, the smart object will resize itself to fit the new content. The resize in the preferences, as just for sizing to the canvas, for a new smart object, as mentioned previously. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. No that's not true. When I open a smart object and replace its content if it does not fit the smart object dimension I have to manually adjust with Ctrl T. Photoshop as of today still has not an automatic option to fit to frame. You need to do this manually with Ctrl T and handles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once again. "Resize during place" will only fit oversized images down to canvas size. That's as designed.

An automatic fit to frame might make sense to you in this particular thing you're doing now - but it makes absolutely no sense as a general rule. What if you're making a collage, just to name one obvious scenario? That won't happen. I can only imagine the storm of complaints.

These things have to behave in a consistent way. It has to follow rules, so that the user can anticipate what happens. The absolute rule for smart objects is that physical size (as opposed to pixel size) is honored. That's already confusing and counter-intuitive enough for people who are familiar with Photoshop and used to working with pixels. No need to throw all the rules to the wind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be as easy as to have an option clicked in the Photoshop Preferences. Fit to Frame and interpolate up and down without doing it manually. Thousands of people are fitting to canvas every day, and it is a huge waste of time for everybody. You don't want that ? Fine. Just leave that option unchecked.

As I have already said, we might see this option in the future. But Adobe sometimes in damn slow when it comes to very basic improvements that make life easier to their users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Umm, you're right. I seemed to recall that it used to crop to the image, when saving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines