• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resizing a layer

Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to shrink the top of two layers so I can display it in a corner of the second layer, then flatten the result. Please see my screenshot.  

The instruction is to select the layer and go to 'edit' and then 'free transform'. Doing this the pop up I get is "Could not transform the selected pixels because the selected area is empty".  Help please.

Robin

janee_0-1646049719205.png

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These images appear to be DMG so need opening and saving in PSD format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much Derek.  I am away from it now but will come back if I still have a problem.

Robin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you again Derek.  It worked for me.  see my screenshot below.  How can I drag the top layer thumbmail into a different position please?  I have 24 such tasks to complete.   I'm off to bed now in Australia so if I do not acknowledge you'll know why.

Regards

Robin 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can drag the Layers up and down, but not below a Background Layer. To convert the Backround Layer into an ordinary layer (so you can drag a layer below it)click on the little padlock symbol in the Background Layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this Derek.  I so seldom use PS that I am permamently rusty as there is very little now that I cannot achieve with LRC.  But I'll no doubt be back when I hit a seemingly simple brick wall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can move the thumbnail layer around.The only thing I'd add to the good advice of @Derek Cross is that I'd leave the background layer alone and duplicate it, then disable the background layer to avoid accidentally doing anythng permanent to it. It's always good to retain the orginal untouched version.

When you get the popup "Could not transform the selected pixels because the selected area is empty," it either means you don't have the right layer selected or that you have something else inadvertently selected with, say, the rectangular marquee tool, which is all to easy to do without realizing. You can have a tiny rectangle selected without realizing, and you might not be able to see it.  When you get that message, first go Select>Deselect in case it's that.

-edit typo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for this advice. With the help I received from you and Derek I achieved my aim and would have floundered without that little bit of guidance. Sorry for the late response but I have been travelling and busy.
Robin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You were right thanks Leslie.  The Crop tool was live and when I turned that off all was well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines