Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rotate patterns in Photoshop

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Rotatable Patterns in Photoshop

One of the cool new features found in the June 2020 release of Photoshop is rotatable patterns. This feature allows you to rotate patterns (non-destructively) to change the angle of the pattern. You can change the orientation of any pattern in Pattern Overlays, Pattern Strokes, and Pattern Fill Layers. For this tutorial, I will rotate a pattern fill layer.

final rotate pattern.jpg

Create a pattern (or use an existing one)

• Open the image you want to make a pattern from
  • If you prefer, you can choose a pattern from the Window>Pattern panel

1 pattern.png

• Select the Rectangular Marquee tool 

Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 12.33.47 AM.png

• Select an area to use as a pattern. (Ensure feather is set to 0 pixels)  
  • Choose Edit > Define Pattern

3 define pattern.png

• Type a name for the pattern  in the dialog box

Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 10.55.20 PM.png

• Open the pattern window by navigating to Window>Pattern to see your new pattern

5 file pattern.png

• The new pattern now appears in the panel

Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 12.48.21 AM.png

❷ 
    Open a file
  • Open an existing file or create a new one
    Create, open, and import images

6 shape to select.png

Select an area to fill

Fill the selection with a pattern

• From the menu, select  Layer> New Fill Layer > Pattern

Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 2.18.14 AM.png

• Click OK

Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 2.19.57 AM.png

• Click on the pattern thumbnail for select from different pattern options

Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 2.20.41 AM.png

• Select the pattern you just created

Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 2.21.02 AM.png

❺ Rotate the pattern

• Adjust the angle of the pattern in the Pattern Fill dialog, 

Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 2.22.39 AM.png

•  If you want to adjust the angle later, just click on the pattern in the layers panel and change the angle

Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 8.36.06 AM.png

Note: The pattern angle selector can be accessed from these locations in the user interface:

Layers
  • Layer menu or Layers panel > New Fill Layer > Pattern > Pattern Fill dialog
  • Layer menu or Layers panel > Layer Style > Pattern Overlay > Layer Style dialog
  • Layer menu or Layers panel > Layer Style > Stroke > Fill type > Pattern > Layer Style dialog
Shapes
  • Options bar or Properties panel > Fill as Pattern
  • Options bar or Properties panel > Stroke as Pattern
Frames
  • Properties panel > Stroke as Pattern

Related links:

Create patterns in Adobe Photoshop

Adjustment and fill layers

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pug 3080_2234example.jpg

This image has an image resolution of 105 pixels per inch. The file size is 3080 x 2217 @ 105 resolution. It is designed for a digital loom and will weave to a size of 29" inches wide.

The original photograph was first reduced in colors and then deconstructed into 16 layers.

There are 16 layers with pattern overlays.  Pattern tiles are : 16 x16 pixels in this example.

Screen Shot 2020-08-10 at 3.16.28 PM.png

 This is a close up. It is a .bmp. (just in case uploading to this forum renders the image in a way that shows greys). there are none.....bmp.

It annoys me that a pattern overlay comes in a various scales....SOMETIMES. Why? What is the setting that creates that change?  It is easy to fix, but as you have noted these patterns are small- it can be easily overlooked - so it creates an additional step in the work flow to check a thing that I believe could be set from the start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is Layer Styles retain the last used value, even if that is a different layer or document. Instead of Layer Styles, try adding a Pattern Fill layer, with the layer itself used as a clipping mask.

Pattern Fills default to 100%. Or, if you're willing to forgo editablity, Edit > Fill, with Pattern as Contents are only 100%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i can say with certainty that i never use any value other than 100% for layer styles.

This is one of the things I have checked.

pattern fill is destructive- a no go. cannot forego editability.

so far, instruction is to always check this occassionally random value at least for the first layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>pattern fill is destructive- a no go. cannot forego editability.

That's why I suggested clipping to the layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

the original post was trying to figure out WHY pattern overlays come in occassionally at different scales.

I do clip, I do edit- fill.  i do use layer styles and correct the random scale.

the search for an answer continues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the resolutions of 

• the original Pattern 

• the image in which the Style was created 

• the image in which the applied Style shows unintended Pattern scaling

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can easily reproduce the issue of the scaled Pattern Overlay by defining the Style at 72ppi and applying it at 75ppi. 

And sorry about the private message, the thread is active now, so either I made some mistake or there was a temporary snafu. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can easily reproduce the issue of the scaled Pattern Overlay by defining the Style at 72ppi and applying it at 75ppi. 

And sorry about the private message, the thread seems active now, so either I made some mistake or there was a temporary snafu. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And sorry about the private message, the thread seems active now, so either I made some mistake or there was a temporary snafu. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes my eyes have a hard time with pattern that are 0.15" by 0.15" even a at low 105  DPI resolution my eyes will be 80 in December. Then you scale the down with Photoshop poor zooming to 0.10" x 0.10 my eyes are not up to that task.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I congratulate you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can easily reproduce the issue of the 104% scaled Pattern Overlay by defining the Style with a 100% Patttern at 72ppi and applying it at 75ppi. 

chet60, sorry about the private message, the thread seems active now, so either I made some mistake or there was a temporary snafu. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to this forum so I am not up to speed on how it works.

so ...thank you for your persistance.

Here is the workflow for building, defining patterns and assigning weaves in photshop.

1. New file :  Resolution (matching the loom) in this case 75ppi.

build the pattern, define it.

2. New file: image - colors reduced- colors deconstructed into layers.

Resolution: (matching the loom) in this case 75 ppi.

3. Apply layer style....and result should be 100% on first one?

(I have seen that if you catch and correct the first pattern overlay - the rest will be correct like a "sticky" setting should.)

I see that you used 72ppi and 75 ppi..... 

I am often asked what resolution to use for the patterns.  They are very small. 2x2, 4x4, 8x8, up to 24 x 24 or so.  I usually respond that they should use the same resolution as the loom - to reduce errors - i.e. things they forget to check. The resolution is the baseline in this process. 1 pixel = 1 thread. So most of the time - these 2 values are the same. (sometimes I don't do it...but over time I have checked to see if this has an impact and I havent seen it. )

Do you see that you do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue appears to be that the resolttions for the file in which you define the Style and the one in which you apply it are not the same. 

In the screenshots you can see the resolution in the Status Bar (bottom left) and the same applied Style has the Pattern at 100% at 72ppi and 104% at 75ppi. 

Apparently the Patterns in Styles are applied according to length measurements (as in mm) and not in percent or plain pixels – so resolution matters. 

Screenshot 2020-08-11 at 17.28.31.pngScreenshot 2020-08-11 at 17.29.05.png

So just make sure that all the files have the exact same resolution

If the issue arises descpite this please provide the files (the one in which the Style is defined, the one in which it is applied and the asl-file) for testing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will follow this.

thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On thing I noticed when I first started recording Actions  was there are special settings for scaling Layer styles when resizing images and that  you can also scale them  with menu Layer>Layer Style>Scale Effects... .    I also notice that when  I recorder actions that added Layers styles to layers  that there were two ways to record  adding a Layer styles to a layer.  One way you add layer style is by using the Style palette.  This Add a Layer style to a layer by layer style name.  That Other way is to use the Layer Style dialog and add the effects you want to add. What surprised me was the there was a difference in how the styles were applied.  I thought that  layer style effects setting use to create the named layer style were just recorded somewhere in Photoshop's Styles and they would just be applied like the action step that recorded the layer style dialog settings. That you just had two ways to record adding of a layer style to a layer.   I was wrong.  The document's resolution that Named layer style was create on is also recorded into Photoshop Styles. When you apply a named Layer style the current document resolution is compared to the recorded resolution in the named style the settings recorded may be scaled  based on this  compare.  Document resolution setting is Important.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just messed up with the pattern.  Thanks Anyway. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found it takes some getting used to that hitting tab and the intended percentage now actually rotates the pattern, but I am not sure if this is your issue, too. 

Could you elaborate? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I am on a Mac, Photoshop CC 2019, and the rotate pattern control doesn't appear at all, what's wrong?

MarioArizmendi_0-1625174502906.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.jpg

There is no angle option available how i enable it ?

like This one

2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What version of photoshop do you have?

You can see the exact version from within photoshop by going to Help>System Info and looking at the top line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines