Same file prtining different colours

New Here ,
Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm printing some badge designs to an Epson inkjet printer. Something strange is happening.
If I print the design (1inch) on its own, the printed colour is fine.
However, when I take that design and pop it on a A4 sheet with multiple versions of itself, the colour them comes out washed out and does not match the lone image printed previously.
The design isn't intricate at all, just solid colour with black text. So theres not even any variables that could be confusing the printer.

I've worked this in 600dpi and 300dpi. RGB and CMYK.
Tried photoshop managing colours and printer managing colours.
Ink is full and printer is clean and aligned.
Printed on printer paper, silk and Glossy paper and does not seem to make any difference.
Working with default settings.

ANOTHER NOTE: its only started happening this past week. So has there been some sort of secret update?

Anyone have any ideas as I'm kinda pulling my hair out!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the color profiles of the two documents?

Check here:

notification_2.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for the reply!
All files are sRGB IEC61966-2.1

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do they just print incorrectly, but appear as they should on screen?

If so, post a screenshot of the PS print dialog.

Note that print settings are stored as metadata in the file. If they are incorrect, reset by holding the spacebar as you click Print.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The files appear as they should on screen.
If I print one badge design it prints and looks fine.
However, when I drag that design on to a new canvas and duplicate it. Once printed the colours are washed out. I've even tried resizing the canvas of a single image, then multiplying - but same story.
It in fact does it with any file. So, graphic on its own = perfect. When duplicated = washed out.
Flattened or unflattened - doesn't matter.

I've messed around with the print settings to no avail. But maybe i've missed something.

I just tried the spacebar thing, but didn't work i'm afraid.
(thank for your suggestions and help).

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well first of all, in your screen capture, the profile (grayed out) for the printer looks wrong:

profile.jpg

As a quick test, if you use Photoshop Manages Color, and ideally you pick the Epson profile (do they show?), what happens. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for my late reply.
Tried what was suggested, but no luck.
I've attached a picture or a printed page.

So the blue in the middle we printed on its own and it's the colour it should be.
Then dragged that same file onto an A4 canvas, and made duplicates.
Same DPI, same colour setting.
However, when printing - as you can see it comes out a lot lighter.

Madness!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 09, 2022 Jul 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Printer Profile -"ACES - - - "**? That’s definitely wrong, it's not a printer profile

**https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Color_Encoding_System

What you need there in "printer profile" is an actual profile for the media/printer in question. Do also make sure you get the rendering intent the same on each printing and be sure that the "media" in the printer settings dialogue is correct and the same each time you print - these settings can change appearance dramatically. 

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should always test output using good color reference images designed for that task. The color reference images' RGB values are such that they are set for output and are editing and display agnostic. Test the output this way and examine for the same color issues so we know it's not your image-specific issues causing the problems:

http://www.digitaldog.net/files/2014PrinterTestFileFlat.tif.zip

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines