• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

same image file looks different in photoshop 2019 and photoshop 2021

New Here ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i found something rather strange, when i open up a image file. tiff in the two differnet versions of photohsop the image looks differnet. i put them side by side on same color calibrated benq monitor. why would this be. this has the potential to be a huge probelm.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Any difference means the color management chain is breaking somewhere. That chain has three individual links:

• the embedded document profile (the source)
  • the monitor profile (the destination)
  • a color managed application that converts from the source color space to the destination color space, using those two profiles

If all these three links are intact, they have to display identically, by definition. If they don't, the problem is usually the monitor profile. It may not be written to icc spec

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as there is an embedded profile in the file (sRGB, Adobe RGB etc) and color management policies are set to "preserve embedded profiles", they will display identically. If your monitor profile is good, you can also expect that to be correct.

If you're working with untagged files (no profile), anything can happen.

"Preserve embedded profiles" is the default policy. Don't change that, ever, under any circumstances (unless you have very special reasons).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok so let me be more clear then. i have 1 image that has an embeded profile which i opened in photoshop 2019, i then opened it in 2021. so now i have the two versions of photoshop open , i put the images next to each other on the same BENQ color calibrated monitor and they loof differnet. the 2021 is a bit darker and a bit warmer in tonality. should they not be exactly the same? what am I missing? I am on a mac running catalina. 10.15.7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Benq calibration software is notoriously buggy, and is known to produce defective or incompatible monitor profiles.

Different applications (even two versions of the same application) can be affected in different ways by a broken monitor profile.

Try to replace the monitor profile with sRGB (use Adobe RGB if your monitor is wide gamut).

I don't use a Mac, so I can't give you any instructions. Now restart both Photoshop versions and check.

If this fixes the issue, recalibrate using the software that came with the calibrator.

If the software allows for it, create a version 2 (not version 4), matrix based (not table based or LUT) profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any difference means the color management chain is breaking somewhere. That chain has three individual links:

• the embedded document profile (the source)
  • the monitor profile (the destination)
  • a color managed application that converts from the source color space to the destination color space, using those two profiles

If all these three links are intact, they have to display identically, by definition. If they don't, the problem is usually the monitor profile. It may not be written to icc specs, it may be corrupt, or it may simply be the wrong one.

No, it's not relevant that it's "the same" monitor. If the conversion goes wrong in one application because of an incorrect monitor profile, they will be different.

Is this a MacBook Pro or an iMac that also has an integrated display? We've seen a lot of cases lately where the wrong profile is used in a dual display setup. What triggers it is unknown, but it's a very conspicuous fact that it only happens in this specific scenario of MBP/iMac + external display. It's most likely a problem with display assignment in the OS/video driver.

If that's it, a workaround is to switch primary/secondary display in the OS.

It should also be said that the BenQ software is known to be pretty buggy and a lot of problems have been reported.

EDIT: Per beat me to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you are correct i do have a 2020 imac and my secondary monitor is a BENQ, i did as you suggeted and made the BENQ monitor my primary monitor and the imac the seconday monitor ,that solved the problem.

Thank you so much , it was drirving me crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines