• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save an image so it's width & height are divisible by a required number?

Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I have a batch of images, all have different dimensions, and I want to re-save them to make sure their dimensions are divisble by 16.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to do this, either as an Action or may be even create a Script I can run?

I'm not code savvy so haven't a clue where to start, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! I'll send you a beer over the web pixel by pixel 😛

Kind Regards, Steve

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Guide , Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

I missed this detail to understand you right away 🙂

#target photoshop;
var s2t = stringIDToTypeID,
    res = executeActionGet(getPropertyRef(p = s2t('resolution'))).getUnitDoubleValue(p),
    w = executeActionGet(getPropertyRef(p = s2t('width'))).getUnitDoubleValue(p) * res / 72,
    h = executeActionGet(getPropertyRef(p = s2t('height'))).getUnitDoubleValue(p) * res / 72;

(d = new ActionDescriptor()).putUnitDouble(s2t('width'), s2t('pixelsUnit'), (Math.ceil(w / 16)) * 16);
d.putUnitDouble(s2

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

That's right, I ignored that fact intentionally to make shorter code, not like this:

preferences.rulerUnits = Units.PIXELS; with(activeDocument)
	resizeCanvas(width + 16 - width % 16, height + 16 - height % 16)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use relative resize dimensions. 100%/16 = 6.25%

Image -> image size
2022-03-17_20-35-39.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jazz-y, many thanks for your response.

I tried inputting your suggestion above but it just shrunk the image down to 6.25%, rather than adjusting the original dimensions to make sure it's divisible by 16. Am I not doing it correctly?

You can see the width & height of an image is 670px x 173px, but i'd like to set up an action or script to make those dimensions divisible by 16. They would then read 672px x 176px.

Many thanks

Screenshot 2022-03-17 at 21.48.51.png

Screenshot 2022-03-17 at 21.49.05.png

  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And also just to clarify, I do not want the image to be stretched when it's made divisible by 16. I need to add on the extra pixels to the canvas size

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I missed this detail to understand you right away 🙂

#target photoshop;
var s2t = stringIDToTypeID,
    res = executeActionGet(getPropertyRef(p = s2t('resolution'))).getUnitDoubleValue(p),
    w = executeActionGet(getPropertyRef(p = s2t('width'))).getUnitDoubleValue(p) * res / 72,
    h = executeActionGet(getPropertyRef(p = s2t('height'))).getUnitDoubleValue(p) * res / 72;

(d = new ActionDescriptor()).putUnitDouble(s2t('width'), s2t('pixelsUnit'), (Math.ceil(w / 16)) * 16);
d.putUnitDouble(s2t('height'), s2t('pixelsUnit'), (Math.ceil(h / 16)) * 16);
d.putEnumerated(s2t('horizontal'), s2t('horizontalLocation'), s2t('center'));
d.putEnumerated(s2t('vertical'), s2t('verticalLocation'), s2t('center'));
executeAction(s2t('canvasSize'), d, DialogModes.NO);

function getPropertyRef(property) {
    (r = new ActionReference()).putProperty(s2t('property'), property);
    r.putEnumerated(s2t('document'), s2t('ordinal'), s2t('targetEnum'));
    return r;
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wouldn't it be same with Math.ceil and without + 16?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure! I rarely use Math, just forgot 🤦

Corrected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too as I use ~~, the equivalent of Math.floor 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! I really like binary operators (probably because I don't understand them much 😳)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have for you another surprise for user problem:

preferences.rulerUnits = Units.PIXELS
with(activeDocument)resizeCanvas(width - width%16,height - height%16)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦

a712698_Ja.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

preferences.rulerUnits = Units.PIXELS
with(activeDocument)resizeCanvas(width - width%16,height - height%16)

As far as I understand, the author needs to save the image by adding pixels to it, and not reduce its size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's right, I ignored that fact intentionally to make shorter code, not like this:

preferences.rulerUnits = Units.PIXELS; with(activeDocument)
	resizeCanvas(width + 16 - width % 16, height + 16 - height % 16)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, many thanks @jazz-y & @Kukurykus for your reponses! Really appreicate it.

I'm just a humble 2d Animator so implementing your code is a little over my head! Would you be able to give me some pointers on how to run the code or am I way outta my depth here?!! 😛

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save the script in 16.jsx file to Presets / Scripts folder of your Photoshop, then (re)launch application to run the item, named as script (without extension) from File > Scripts menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks @Kukurykus, i'll give it a try and let you know how i get on.

@Stephen_A_Marsh cheers for the extra reading, really appreciate all your help 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kukurykus @jazz-y followed your guidence above and it worked a treat!! Exactly what I was after.

Thanks again for your help and time, you guys are awesome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make me a favour and mark jazz-y solution. His code is also correct for your goal 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@SteviePee wrote:

Hello everyone,

I have a batch of images, all have different dimensions, and I want to re-save them to make sure their dimensions are divisble by 16.

Curious minds need to know why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @Stephen_A_Marsh, apologies for not going into more detail, I just didn't want to write a novel!

I'm working on game animations created in Spine2D that are scaled into 16 different sizes for use on various devices.

I've found that when the Spine anims are scaled down, if the images used in the Spine anims are not divisible by 16 they begin to shift around, especially at the smaller scales.

The assets used in the animations are exported from Photoshop as pngs, then loaded into Spine. It's at this stage that I wondered if I could set up an Action, or even create a script, that would make sure every PNG exported from PS is divisble by 16. Trouble is a lot of this is over my head as i'm a code newbie 😛

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, my background is prepress/print so it is always interesting to see how others use and do things!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey @Kukurykus @jazz-y , was wondering if you could help expand the code you created above.

Could it be possible to run a script that on exporting as a PNG does the following:

1. Checks if a PSD layer is divisible by 16.

2. If it's not divisible, add on pixels equally to the Length & Width so it is now divisible by 16.

3. If the layer is divisible by 16, exports the png as normal.

This would be awesome in helping with exporting png assets for a game i'm creating.

Many thanks,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2023 Jul 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines