• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save As isn't saving to Original folder even after resetting default preferences

Participant ,
Jul 09, 2022 Jul 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,  (Windows user)

I open an image in LR, edit it in PS and then go to Save As and it resorts to the previous's image folder, not the current original folder of the image I am working on.  This has been occuring for months. I reset all default preferences in PS because was told my preferences might be corrupt.  That didn't work.  

I have legacy save as checked and save as to original folder checked.

It does resort to original folder when I open the image in Bridge if it is already labeled a PSD file. So is it a LR issue or a PS issue?

Please help me, this extremely time consuming when working off different drives and folders. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the same behaviour, if I just close the window it saves it to the correct folder though and shows up in lightroom.

I also have legacy save as checked and save as to original folder checked in preferances.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you looked at Lr to see if there is a setting there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cant see any settings in lightroom that relate to this. Just seems to affect files opened via "edit in photoshop" from lightroom. Files opened directly from windows explorer "save as" to the original folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What file format/s (I don't use Lr)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stephen, its not really a problem for me with my work flow, was just confirming similar behaviour as  Shellettephotog was experiencing. After editing in photoshop I just close the window and its back in lightroom, if I need to change the file type would do it at the export stage from lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you 'Open' the image from Lightroom-Classic, you must ALWAYS only use [SAVE] for the new Ps image to return to Lightroom in the same folder as the 'original'

If you use [Save As], then Lightroom plays no part of the 'save' and you must state the folder destination, otherwise TBMK Ps uses the last used [Save As] folder.

EDIT IN PHOTOSHOP ROUNDTRIP

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the page you linked too

"Technically, you can use the File > Save As command to rename the file, but it’s important that you don’t change the file’s location. If you do, Lightroom won’t be able to find it."

That reads like it  was being directed to the original folder at the time that web page was written.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 07, 2022 Aug 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not having an issue with it returning/saving to the original folder in LR. For some reason it goes to the correct folder in LR.  The issue is in PS/Bridge. If I open an image in LR, edit in PS, then try save as with a rename of the file image, it saves it somewhere else, not the folder I pulled the image from in bridge but it does in LR.  

Now I am opening an image from Bridge to PS, edit it, or resize it for web, rename the image with web in the name, click save as ... and then I don't pay attention to what folder PS saves it in, I cannot find it.  It saves it in a different folder than the one I opened it from.   I have several external drives.  I open a file from drive K, edit it, click save as and it will try to save it in a folder on drive C. This is a time killer for me constantly having to research through to the correct folder to save it in. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Shellettephotog – You can try the following script to see if the source path is retained:

/*
Default Save As to Source Directory.jsx
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/save-as-isn-t-saving-to-original-folder-even-after-resetting-default-preferences/m-p/13120058
Stephen Marsh, 7th August 2022 - v1.0
Info: Uses the standard Photoshop interface with the open file path
*/

#target photoshop

if (app.documents.length > 0) {
    var docName = app.activeDocument.name;
    try {
        // Use the previously saved path
        var docPath = app.activeDocument.path;
    } catch (e) {
        // If unsaved, select the desktop
        var docPath = Folder.selectDialog("Unsaved base file, select the output folder:");
    }
    saveFile();
} else {
    alert("You must have a document open!");
}

function saveFile() {
    // Using the standard Photoshop dialog window
	var ID = function (s) {
		return app.stringIDToTypeID(s);
	};
	var AD = new ActionDescriptor();
	AD.putPath(ID("in"), new File(docPath + "/" + docName));
	executeAction(ID("save"), AD, DialogModes.ALL);
}

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2017/11/downloading-and-installing-adobe-scripts.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply Steve.  This is a little complicated for me but I will look it up and try it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Shellettephotog wrote:

Thank you for your reply Steve.  This is a little complicated for me but I will look it up and try it. 

Don't sell yourself short!

1. Copy the code text to the clipboard
  2. Open a new blank file in a plain-text editor (not in a word processor)
  3. Paste the code in
  4. Save the text file as .txt
  5. Rename the file extension from .txt to .jsx
  6. Install or browse to the .jsx file to run (see the previous link for more info)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stephen,  I followed your instructions, I think. I copied the text and pasted it into Notepad. Saved it as a .txt. in Documents. Then renamed it .jsx.  Now how do I install it or run it??  I am reading through the link, and moved it to Bridg startup scripts.  I restarted Bridge and yahoo.  It is working.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.  I have been wasting so much time digging through folders to Save As ... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Shellettephotog – It's a Photoshop script, so it is used differently than for Bridge.

Adobe Photoshop Script Installation Location

Scripts are installed in the /Presets/Scripts folder

Mac OS Example:

• /Applications⁩/Adobe Photoshop CC 2019⁩/Presets⁩/Scripts
  • /Applications/Adobe Photoshop 2021/Presets/Scripts

(If this path does not match your version, it should be a simple enough process to find the correct folder using this guide)

Win OS Example:
  • C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2018\Presets\Scripts
  • C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2021\Presets\Scripts

(If this path does not match your version, it should be a simple enough process to find the correct folder using this guide)

Alternatively, select File > Scripts > Browse and navigate to the script file.

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2017/11/downloading-and-installing-adobe-scripts.html#Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 05, 2022 Oct 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stephen, 

It is happening again.  Not saving as to original folder.  Now I also have a disk copy was changed since you last saved it.  Checking and unchecking Legacy save has something to do with it the disk copy. 

If I open an image in LR classic, then edit it in PS, it resorts to previous folder used when trying to save with a name. It didn't used to do that.  It started doing it recently.  The .jsx  worked but not anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2023 Nov 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The script works as expected for me in Photoshop 2024.

I don't use Lightroom, however, recent forum discussions have indicated that one should be using SAVE and only save, not Save As or Save As a Copy if the edits need to be automatically updated in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines