Save As PNG creates large files compared to Export as PNG

New Here ,
Sep 30, 2019 Sep 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since about mid last year (mid-2018), Photoshop has changed the default settings for Saving As PNG to include an extremely large amount of metadata, which is bloating out files to be over 100 times the filesize of what it should be. When saving out the same file using "File > Export > Quick Export as PNG" option, the filesize drops from 2,589KB down to 26KB (which is what the filesize is expected). Is there any way to stop Photoshop from attaching that huge amount of metadata when Saving as PNG?

As reference, I am using Photoshop CC 20.0.6, and have attached the 2 files, one using the Quick Export method, and the other using just Save As. I also cannot find any extra info stored in the Save As PNG (no layers or history), and there is no real distinguishing difference between the two except the filesize. Any help would be useful.

Filesizes.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 30, 2019 Sep 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try here:

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2017/06/metadata-bloat-photoshopdocumentancestors.html

P.S. I'm happy to share any of the scripts that I removed the source code to, just let me know.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

still no official solution from Adobe?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines