• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save for Web: Checking "Convert to sRGB" alone makes image untagged?

Participant ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found an old thread where gener7, Adobe Community Professional, wrote:

Now here's the funny part. If I have an untagged (no profile assigned) picture in Photoshop and use SFW:

Checking both embed and convert will tag it sRGB. Unchecking "embed profile" and keeping "convert to sRGB" checked will leave the document with no profile or untagged.

Link to the source post: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/save-for-web-convert-to-srgb-vs-embed...

I can confirm it with CS6 on Windows. If you open an image with Adobe RGB profile assigned and then re-save it for Web as JPEG with only the "Convert to sRGB" check box, that resulting JPEG will be untagged (Photoshop will refer to it as "Untagged RGB").

Is it a bug (maybe already fixed since then) or a feature? Why it happens?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

So, I have read the post twice and don't see the problem. If you don't embed the ICC profile, why would there be any surprise that there is no ICC profile when it was explicitly left unchecked? What am I missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I have read the post twice and don't see the problem. If you don't embed the ICC profile, why would there be any surprise that there is no ICC profile when it was explicitly left unchecked? What am I missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it seems you are right. Duh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Convert changes the numbers. Embed profile embeds the profile (not to rub it in 😉 )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2022 May 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"If you open an image with Adobe RGB profile assigned and then re-save it for Web as JPEG with only the "Convert to sRGB" check box, that resulting JPEG will be untagged (Photoshop will refer to it as "Untagged RGB")."

Of course, that’s expected behaviour. If you don't check "embed profile" then no profile is embedded.

Better to chack it by default as a matter of course. 

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines