• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save for Web Question

Engaged ,
Aug 28, 2022 Aug 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do the little plus signs mean in the color swatches when using the Save for Web feature? (see attached)

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@scotwllm I can't duplicate it. What are the color settings of your original image? Do you get these plus signs with any image you save this way? Maybe it has to do with the number of colors in the palette, suggesting there are more?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alt-Shift-Ctrl S.

Image is a psd file. Mode is RGB 8 bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe that means the color is Web Safe or falls within the 256 colors that a Gif or PNG-8 is limited to.

(that's supposed to be a Diamond symbol)

Since the Save for Web plugin dates from photoshop 5.5 (circa 1999 and  based on ImageReady which is older than that) it could also mean the colors fall within the standard 216-color color table common to Windows and Mac OS 8 bit (256-color) palettes.

Actually according to the photoshop help, Web Safe is based on the 216 Color palette.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/choosing-colors.html#choose_web_safe_colors

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I get to choose the correct answer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assure you, it's a plus sign. I just double-checked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it sure looks like a plus sign, however, in the adobe help it refers to it as a Diamond

The Orginal Poster, that's you, is supposed to be the one that selects the correct answer.

If you meant to mark another response it can be changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I didn't mark any response as correct yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is showing web-safe colours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. Would that mean my test image has unsafe web colors?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The concept of safe/unsafe web colours is irrelevant nowadays. Back in the 90s computer graphics hardware was limited and couldn't produce more than 256 colours on-screen at 640x480 / 1024x768 resolutions, and with the advent of the web a colour palette of 216 entries was agreed on to prevent the GUI in Windows and MacOS from being affected by colour shifts. The GUI obviously required a set of fixed static colours to look correct.

The colours are still recognized by browsers, though, and many are actually named too!

At the time it was 'discovered' that only 22 of these 216 'web safe' could be reliably displayed without inconsistent remapping on 16-bit computer displays. These were called "the really safe palette".

Read up on the subject on Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_colors

I grew up in the 80s, and started work with graphics on the C64. Limited resolutions and colour palettes were par for the course: 160x200@16 colours! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh, the halcyon days. lol (I grew up (as a teenager) in the 80's, too! I didn't pick up computing until the 90's, though.)

MIDI was an absolute nightmare to deal with back then, too, but it was still fun.  xD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want plus signs (or even better, diamonds) on my colors like @scotwllm has!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you remember web-safe colors, then you'll probably want to opt for diamonds on the soles of your shoes. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lol!

What more is there to say, apart from you colored my day 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use that feature to create a simplified palette for an image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I remember web-safe colors and recording SMTP files onto cassettes. I've used Photoshop since it first came out. The first version I used was free -- it came with some other software. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't actually save the file. I just screengrab the colors in the color table.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines