• English
      • Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Save PSB to internal drive failed but no error dialog appears - leads to lost of my work

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I'm running on Windows 11 Pro, 21H2, build 22000.1335 with Photoshop version 24.1.0. My notebook has 16GB of RAM and only a single internal SSD disk with single partition (drive C:) which is also used as the only scratch disk for Photoshop. Please take this report seriously as that should never happen again.

Today I had working on a big PSB photoshop file, before I started Photoshop C: drive had 70 GB of available space. As I assume that disk 70GB capacity available for a single opened huge-file is large enough to work with for a while. But after a while I see I was wrong. I start facing "scratch disk full" issue. And because of that, I want to save the file, delete the history of the file, restart the PS and start again - for a while.

So I used "Save as" action to save the huge file to my drive C (same disk for saving files and as scratch disk) and after that (just after it seems to me the file has been saved) I just closed the PS. 

Then I found the file was not saved on the disk... And I started to be mad ...

For sure the file was not saved because the disk had no available space in the moment I was trying to save my file. That is not the issue. The issue is that no error dialog appears, no bad sound played, no sign that the file save process failed appears at all! And this is a big issue. I lost my work because no dialog appears.

I was able to reproduce that later in the afternoon. Please try to reproduce if this issue is local to my PC only or it is a bug of new PS release.

Thank you in advance,
Kristyna

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a bug. 70 GB free space is just nowhere near enough for working with big files! This isn't about the size of the file itself. The  scratch file contains all history states (each potentially as big as the file) for all open documents, plus overhead for moving all that data around. Anything big enough to need the PSB format will require at least 400 - 600 GB to be safe.

The real problem here is that Adobe don't emphasize the scratch disk enough in the official system requirements. This should be a big warning right at the top.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How large was the file? if the scrach disk was full there was no room to save the file.

Normally when you run out of disk space, Photoshop starts to cascade fail and crashes.

You should designate a secondary drive as your scratch disk or add more disk space to your internal drive.

Agree with @D Fosse 70 GB is nowhere near enough to run Photoshop without issues.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file is now about 3,6 GB. And I do understand that 70GB is poor for managing big files.

But you miss the main issue I'm reporting. There is no problem in that the file was not saved BUT the saving process of the file seems from application user point of view as succesfully finished. If I get the error dialog with "Not enough space available on the disk" I would say fine, lets delete some stuff to save my work.

This is the issue. Saving process failed WITHOUT error dialog letting the user know about that? This happend in the early stage of PCs where no multitasking was ever belieavable.  

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You did get a warning: scratch disk full. The fact that you later couldn't save is just an inevitable consequence of that. It's a side effect, so to speak.

Sorry to be blunt, I don't mean to be rude. It's just that this is a brick wall you can't get around, and you need to take this as a valuable lesson for the future. Photoshop can't operate without enough scratch disk space and that's basically all there is to it.

If you get the scratch disk full message, you may be able to save the situation by immediately deleting all history states (and close any other documents). But it may be too late. I wouldn't know; I have never seen that message (I have several TB available at all times).

And if for some reason you must work even knowing you really don't have enough space, set History States to 1. That means you can't go back, but the scratch file won't build up so quickly.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines